New Garden(er) Questions

Discussion in 'Soils, Fertilizers and Composting' started by Jon MacDiarmid, May 8, 2006.

1. Jon MacDiarmid

Jon MacDiarmid Member

Hello All, Im new to gardening but hope like to setup a vegetable garden in my backyard. Its a fairly small yard and the soil is very tough clay. I intend to build a 8" deep raised bed using cedar boards for a total area of 72 sq ft.

We are in Zone 5 (very close to a 4) and I would like to plan all vegetables (lettuce, tomatoes, carrots, etc) and perhaps, if I can find space, some grape vines and dwarf apple tree.

My question is around soil prep... How deep should I dig and what should I mix to get the initial garden setup and ready for planting? I saw another post suggesting I should till and mix my clay with other soil and fertilizer to ensure good drainage, but what type of soil should I mix? Can I simply mix a clean topsoil with the clay, and some organic fertilizer material?

Thanks.... Jon

2. oscar

oscar Active Member

old fashioned way would be to double dig, adding manure (worked for like a thousand years) new idea (maybe because everyone is time poor) is to buy top soil and grow in that.........physical exercise is good for you, i say dig it :D

3. Newt

Newt Well-Known Member 10 Years

4. Jon MacDiarmid

Jon MacDiarmid Member

Wow, thanks for the replies.

Those links are great... should keep me reading for awhile. Thanks Newt.

Guess Im a little late to try and start my veggies from seed.... anyone know a good place around Oakville, ON to buy veggies to plant?

5. Newt

Newt Well-Known Member 10 Years