New from Ohio

Discussion in 'Conversations Forum' started by Hybrid Theory, Oct 25, 2008.

1. Hybrid Theory

Hybrid Theory Active Member

Hey guys and gals. Just a little bit about myself. My name is Dennis and I live in Cincy Ohio. I have always loved plants and until I got my own house I could pretty much only own tropical and house plants. Now that I have my own home I have 9 different japanes maples and I actually grafted my first blood good and sugar maple together this summer to see what would happen. I didn't think it would work but so far so good. I look forward to meeting everyone on here and being taught a thing or two.

2. togata57

togata57 Generous Contributor 10 Years

Welcome, fellow Buckeye! Glad to have you here. You will enjoy this forum---the depth and breadth of knowledge represented here is amazing. Congratulations on your new home, and good botanical luck to you!

3. Hybrid Theory

thank you for the welcome. I use to go to columbus all the time when I use to breed reptiles. funny even when I bred them all the live plants I use to use in their tanks. I've been actually thinking of going to school for either landscaping or botany so I'm trying to learn more to see what would interest me more. Jesus I'm almost 30 with 2 kins and I still dont know what I want to do with my life : )

4. togata57

Mere child! I still don't know. So, in the meantime, I take care of my orchids and botanical etc., go to work (no matter how old your kids---I have 2, too---get, they still show up when they need $$$!), and read a lot. Yeah, if I had "IT" to do all over again I would pursue the plant thing as a career somehow. With age comes wisdom...if only you were also granted the time to do what it took you all those years to learn!

5. Hybrid Theory

My son is 7 and I have another one on the way due April 19. I've really been thinking about landscaping more because I feel like I am better at that right now. I may not know the scientific name of the plant I'm dealing with but I know what it looks good with and what conditions it can take. I Just built a 720 gallon pond this year and the previous year I built a 180 gallon pond for my dad on fathers day. I've done a lot of landscaping this year in my yard and my fathers. I've had a few people also come up to me and want me to start landscaping their yards next spring. So I'm guessing I'll just start off with that route and see where I end up.

6. togata57

Sounds good. I agree with this theory: if there is something you seem to be doing all the time. maybe that's what you should be doing. Or, if you prefer, "Do or do not.There is no 'try'." (Yoda.)---Years spent in classrooms have taught me the value of practical experience. Sure, "formal" education is important, but I think DOING things is even more so. Kinda like music. You've got to have the innate talent and desire, but also have to have an organized structure upon which to hang your ideas---this is what classes could do for you.

But for now, go for it! Possibly some classes not only in botanical stuff but in small-business issues would be in order! You'll probably have more jobs than you can shake a maple branch at.---Do you put fish in your ponds? Water lilies? Fountains?---In any case, much success to you, and hope all goes well with your upcoming Aries child.

If you can, post some photos of your ponds, maples, etc.!

7. Hybrid Theory

OH yeah I have koi in my pond comets, bull frogs, water lilies. My fountain started off being small but now its about 3.5 feet tall and about the same width. thank you for your advice. I'll go out today and get some pics to show you guys what I got.