New Favorite Finds

Discussion in 'Fungi, Lichens and Slime Molds' started by C.Wick, Oct 15, 2009.

1. C.Wick

C.Wick Active Member

Just another bundle of recent fungi finds.
    The purple is a Blewitt: Edible
    The 'teeth' is a Bearded Tooth: Edible
    The stacked fellows with the little hillbilly is Destructive Pholiota: Edible
    The ladybird bug thing is resting on Lycoperdum pyriforme: Edible
    The 'light from the sky' image mushroom...I have no idea what it is but I loved photographing it.
    The golden bundle with the white stems is another species I'm not sure about.
    All these were photographed in the last few days.
    See? And people thought the only edible mushroom to be found was Morels in the Spring.

Attached Files:

2. togata57

togata57 Generous Contributor 10 Years

Beautiful work as always, C. W.!
    Is that a large caterpillar friend (or, foe...?) on the purple mushroom? And, if so, what IS it? Yikes!

3. C.Wick

C.Wick Active Member

lol...it was 'friend'....It was so cold that day when I saw it it was just curled up with the mushroom, possibly using it for a heat source? Still not sure what it is though...
    Thanx for the comment/compliment!

4. 2annbrow

2annbrow Active Member

North Bend OR US;Oregon coast, just N of Coos Bay
    Alice in Fungi wonderland!

5. Frog

Frog Generous Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

Beautiful photos C. Wick!

6. C.Wick

C.Wick Active Member

lol...Ann? If you ONLY knew!
    Thanx Frog!

7. joclyn

joclyn Rising Contributor

absolutely fantabulous photos!! thanks for sharing them with us!!

8. togata57

So when is that BOOK getting published, C.W......???

9. C.Wick

C.Wick Active Member

~sigh~ ahhh togata, no book yet. lol I was going to enter some works to a mushroom photo contest but I just can't decide what would have been good enuf...nor do I really feel the confidence necessary for that. Oh well...maybe another time.
    I just got a new camera yesterday...a BETTER one that will hopefully improve my images.
    Thank you joclyn!

10. 2annbrow

2annbrow Active Member

Hello, C. Wick! I found your earlier comment intriguing . . . And I would like to hear more about your cameras! I have a fairly decent "eye," but no experience at all with digital photography. Can we talk? I'd also like to know about any more sophisticated software for tweaking images - things like ghosting, enlarging "moon over water" so that it looks in the photo as it does to the eye, etc. Care to share some info?

11. C.Wick

C.Wick Active Member

Hi Ann...feel free to ask away! I'll help where I can.
    Best camera I've used so far? Was an Olympus IR500. It had a view screen that opened up so if you couldn't get your face low you could at least look ont he view finder without any strain. The macro option on that is WONDERFUl...however...the pixel isn't very high at only 4.5mp.
    Now I've upgraded to a Canon with a view screen that folds out and turns...and is a 10.0mp.
    If you're wanting something that will be great for printing...the higher the pixel...the better.
    The only program I use is Adobe Elements 2.0
    It still allows me to add something from one image to another...helps with color/light adjustments...re-sizes/crops...allows for darkening/lightening individual areas...and has lots of filters on it.

12. 2annbrow

2annbrow Active Member

Thanks! I went back & looked at your older slime mold photos too. You do a really nice job of presenting "in situ" yet close enough for detail. Is that a natural gift, or did you study, or learn from experience?
    I'm presently rather tight on budget, but if I win my workers' comp case, might be able to do a little better. [Don't EVER get hurt on the job - the "insurers" put you through 97 kinds of pluperfect hell! For YEARS!] Can you recommend a startup version "best buy" for taking the kinds of shots you take, that won't require an engineering degree to make it work, or a second mortgage to purchase? I know this is asking a lot, but in my experience, people who really love what they do also love to teach others about it. If you are too busy, I will understand; isn't it funny how folks actually have lives to get on with! I've already gotten useful tips and I thank you - plus the pure pleasure of your photos!
    Ann B.

13. C.Wick

C.Wick Active Member

I understand the money issue completely! Seriously? The Olympus IR500 goes for around $100 now. And it is SOOO worth it. Usually the rechargeable batteries only go for a few dollars and USUALLY if you get the camera, the charging dock comes with it.

I went to college originally to be a theatre design major...and to study painting. My 2nd year at school, I had WANTED to take intro. to ceramics..but all the football players had filled the class...........and that year they opened the first photo class that they'd had in years.
    I took 2 semesters with a teacher who had only had 1 class himself in college (he was the sculpture instructor) so it was basically learn on my own. We did pin hole cameras and photographed only in b/w film. I loved it instantly and never looked back.

To me? Photography is an art...not a skill. You have to have a passion to make it work. If you see something to photograph...don't just aim the camera and click. Look for alllllll the possible angles. A straight on head shot of someone is so much more boring....then if you took the camera at shoulder angle looking down just a hair...or? Like with my fungi, don't just take a photo of the top of the caps...but look to see what's UNDER them as well.

I've now been doing photography for 15 years and do a pretty good profit from it. As long as I'm not dropping my cameras in creeks and on cement. :o)

If you'd like, I'm on 2 art sites that are world-wide and free to join/visit. SauriaMami at both DeviantArt.com and RedBubble.com ...There are TONS of other artists on there that can help share their ideas and tips there also.....

ps?
    I'm on my 8th time being denied SSI...because? Back in 04 I told a doctor 'I feel better today then I have in a long time!'
    I understand the frustrations of being torn apart waiting for help.

14. togata57

Keep after her, ann---C.W.'s talent just shines like the sun, don't it? Right after I joined the Forum I saw some of her photos and they just JUMPED off the screen at me. Whoa! The genuine article. Hers are not simply photographs: her work is ALIVE.

C.W., have a friend look at your stuff to help you choose. Sometimes you look at it so much that you get so you can't see it! And HEY! your stuff is The Best. Lack no confidence! I do not toss my compliments lightly. Every one of your photos I have seen is show quality. Know that your stuff is excellent: we do! This is not arrogance, or self-aggrandisement---it is A FACT!

Besides which, I want this book! Now, there's a selfish motivation for ya. :-)

15. 2annbrow

2annbrow Active Member

DITTO! But I want an autographed copy, so I can say "See!"