New drought resistant shrubs for small sunny front bed

Discussion in 'Woody Plants' started by PinkieT, May 6, 2007.

1. PinkieT

PinkieT Member

I need to replace several older evergreen shrubs in a small bed between my front door and driveway. The shrubs that are currently there are about 25 years old and are beginning to die out. I'm not sure if this is just due to old age or what. There are 2 piers japonica and 4 mounded spruce or juniper shrubs that I can't identify. They aren't over crowded in there and are only between 1 1/2 ' -2" high for the spruce/juniper and 3' for the piers japonica.
    This area recieves full afternoon sun and is fairly dry year round. The soil tends to be acidic. I want evergreen low growing shrubs that will fill in within a couple of years but stay compact. They mostly grow under the the spread of a weeping birch. I was thinking of possibly replacing them with rhodos but am open to any suggestions. Since this is my entry way I want something that will always look neat, healthy and offer a welcoming beauty.

2. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Cistus ladanifer would be one good choice

3. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Good suggestion. There are number of Cistus (and relatives) here at the garden - they won't be blooming for a bit yet, but worth investigating this summer if you can wait to replace the others.

4. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Escallonia are quick-growing and heat-loving. One or two dwarf kinds on the local market are quite low and compact.

See also page 159 of current edition of Sunset WESTERN GARDEN BOOK.

5. growest

growest Active Member 10 Years

Ron--my escallonia have never tolerated drought...is it just me?

Another pretty drought resistant shrub is grevillea victoriae...UBC shop often has them.

6. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Yes, it's just you. Are you having a problem with established plants collapsing? You have to get anything going well first before it becomes 'tolerant', of course. After that what, exactly, we define as 'tolerant' and 'drought' starts to become important.

7. growest

growest Active Member 10 Years

Now you've got me thinking (sometimes dangerous at my age)...define drought and define tolerant, that's gonna be fun, hehehe!

Anyway, my escallonia still after several years seem only average in drought tolerance here, just wimps I guess.

I did find quite a cool selection of plants here

http://www.ci.chico.ca.us/_mod_resource/content/Parks/Parks/LDM_-_Drought_Tolerant_Plant_List.pdf

Some that pop out are olive (arbequina is reported to be reliably hardy here) and of course ceanothus, also arbutus (unedo being the better behaved species for this kind of siting)...along with many others I'm sure. This list is dealing with California conditions, but many of the listed plants also grow around here, food for thought.

As water restrictions seem to become the norm rather than exception, we may be looking to these sorts of lists more and more in coming years.

8. Liz

Liz Well-Known Member 10 Years