New Bloodgood

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Pboyd, Jun 2, 2018.

1. Pboyd

Pboyd New Member

I planted this Bloodgood this week in Central Texas. It is my first Japanese Maple effort. I am considering removing the branches that are close to the ground in order to have a more "tree like" shape. I would appreciate any thoughts on whether this should be done. Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. Ken Hamilton

Ken Hamilton Active Member

In my experience, leaving some shortened branching up the trunk in the initial years after planting helps thicken the trunk. These can later be removed to create a more tree like shape.
    If your location is not windy, certainly prune off lower banches to desired height but may require a cane or stake for a while as all the weight of foliage is at the top.

Pboyd likes this.
  3. JT1

JT1 Contributor 10 Years

All good points already mentioned, to add one more.

The lower branches will shade some of the roots, keeping them cooler and will help in getting the tree established. Any random long growth from these lower branches should be removed. As the top canopy grows the lower branches will slow down as they become more shaded. Then the lower branches can be removed when the tree is established and desired form is achieved.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2018
    copperbeech and Pboyd like this.