Neptune Grape Vine

Discussion in 'Grapes and Grape Vines' started by Marcio, Aug 11, 2008.

1. Marcio

Marcio Member

Hi Everyone
    I'm looking for a seedless grape vine called Neptune, I'm from Toronto Canada, and I've looked everywhere in all the Nurseries, and they don't seam to have them here.
    Just wondering if anyone knows where and how I could get one or 2 for my backyard. please feel free to email me or post it here.

Another question,
    Has anyone had any experience growing Neptune grape vine? If so, would you recommend another one, or should I continue my search because it is a very good White seedless grape vine to have.

Thank you all in advance.

2. Ottawa-Zone5

Ottawa-Zone5 Active Member

Re: Searching for Canadian Sources for Jupiter & Neptune grapes Vines or Cuttings

I have not found any place or internet site showing these (Neptune or Jupiter) available for salem in Canada. Prairiegrapes mentioned that these grapes aren't yet available commercially so that makes it still more harder to get. Let us keep watch.

3. Marcio

Marcio Member

Re: Searching for Canadian Sources for Jupiter & Neptune grapes Vines or Cuttings

I found a place in US that sales them

Last edited: Aug 14, 2008
  4. EDmlil

EDmlil Member

Hi marcio I'm from the states, buffalo area. Our nurseries do carry them in the spring. I bought 4 this past spring. they are bare root plants. the frost we got in the late spring set them back but I didn't lose any! I got mine at Turnbulls nursery. their located in N Collins N.Y.About 30 min south of buffalo. If I remember, I think I only paid $3 per plant. Their phone # is 1-716-337-3812.if you mapquest its pretty easy to find them maybe 10 min. off the 90.

5. Marcio

Marcio Member

Thank you VERY MUCH!!!

6. Ottawa-Zone5

Ottawa-Zone5 Active Member

Marcio
    I am also interested in Neptune as well as Jupiter. See this (if you have not viewed it befor):
    http://www.botanicalgarden.ubc.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=42117

You mentioned that you are going there in spring. How would you be arranging to bring the plants into Canada? I thought there were some hurdles in doing that.

7. Marcio

Marcio Member

I want a White grape, and Jupiter is black,

8. northerngrapes

northerngrapes Active Member

http://www.nysaes.cornell.edu/hort/faculty/reisch/bulletin/table/tabletext3.html

It's illegal to bring untested grapevines into Canada and there can be some pretty severe fines if you get caught doing it.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2008
  9. EDmlil

EDmlil Member

yes they are in their dormant state- no leaves- I didn't know about the legality of transporting them though. the neptune is a white grape and as far as tested, I'm not sure how canada does that but they are a zone 5 plant or I wouldn't have bought them. good luck maybe you can buy them from a catalog to be on the safe side

10. Ralph Walton

Ralph Walton Active Member 10 Years

Grapevines require a "Phyto" certificate to enter Canada legally. An international supplier, U.S. or otherwise will either be able and prepared to provide this or not; many choose to avoid the bother and simply refuse to sell for export.

There is ample reason to comply with these regulations as healthy appearing plants can carry an alarming variety of economically and ecologically disastrous diseases and pests (witness the SOD or "Sudden Oak Death" situation on the West Coast). If that isn't enough motivation, there are frequently rather nice vehicles for sale on the Crown Assets Distribution website that have been seized from folks trying to import things they now wish they had the right paperwork for!

Please find certified stock or wait for it. Many of these varieties are going thru the three year analysis and quarantine process and will eventually be available to us.

Ralph

11. silver_creek

silver_creek Active Member

None of the "Planet" grapes from the University of Arkansas is certified yet, so are not legal to export to Canada. The process of certification requires a grower to have their stock tested for various viruses, a process which costs several thousand dollars per variety. If the grower then has virus free certified plants as cutting stock, they will be registered with Canadian Food Inspection Agency as a certified nursery, and be able to sell that variety into Canada (still requires a phytosanitary inpection and an import permit). It may be a while before that happens for these varieties.

12. northerngrapes

northerngrapes Active Member

There are legal means to import grapes from certified sources in the US, but it is expensive and the grapes have to meet the criteria of the CFIA. One site where you can import grapes is here
    http://www.ars.usda.gov/SP2UserFiles/Place/19100500/ClonalCatalogs/07Vcatalog.pdf

I would recommend you could try some of the varieties already available in Canada.

Glenora, Coronation Seedless, Venus, Reliance, Canadice, Interlaken,Himrod, Lakemont.
    Vanessa and Einset are all good choices for table grapes. Most of the grapes described in the list are good grapes. Check out this site for variety descriptions.

http://www.nysaes.cornell.edu/hort/faculty/reisch/bulletin/table/tabletext3.html

Cheers

13. Marcio

Marcio Member

I better wait, I did not know that.

Thank you all for your help and comments.
    I really appreciated.

I think I'm going to get the Himrod, it looks like it will be my best choice, and I can always get the Neptune when it becomes available here.

Thank you all.

14. sean86114

sean86114 Member

I want to revive this thread, its been almost 15 years thread lol.. we must have someone here that have tried these (jupiter and neptune) grapes by now. anyone have some cuttings to share?