Identification: Need help with these plants

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by Barbara92021, Aug 4, 2008.

1. Barbara92021

Barbara92021 Active Member 10 Years

I've been looking in my books for the name of these 4 plants but I can't find anything even close. Please help name these for me! I've put a couple pics for 2 of them.

Attached Files:

2. joclyn

joclyn Rising Contributor

first one could be a hoya.
    second is aloe or haworthia...if the white is raised, it's haworthia and most probably attenuata
    third is dracaena. most likely frangans
    last one is an epiphyllum

3. Cereusly Steve

Cereusly Steve Active Member

All the plants appear to be too dry and not getting enough light.

1. Hoya sp?
    2. Haworthia attenuata
    3-4. Dracaena fragrans 'Massangeana'
    5-6. Lepismium cruciforme

4. Barbara92021

Thankyou Jocelyn and Steve!! Super help!

I got the hoya (??) and dracaena from a friend who was going to throw them out!!

First plant (a hoya sp??) was an ivy growing all around the dracaena so I took it out b/c it didn't look very healthy and it seemed to be choking the dracaena. I tried for a couple of months to get it looking healthy but to no avail. I took the pic of the last few leaves and wanted to see if I could find out what it was so I could buy a new one. I love hoya plants so what is the full name of this plant?

The haworthia attenuata grows like a weed! This pic is of just one of the many pots I have some of them in. I water them every week and I give them a misting from time to time. It must be fine, Steve, as they all grow great!! They are in front of a window that gets the morning sun. The lady I got it from had them up, out of sunlight, on the top of a cupboard and it still grew like crazy!

Steve, the dracaena gets light indirectly b/c I have it back from the window, against the back wall of our living room which is about 16'. It was the only place it could fit - for now! I am moving back to southern BC next week and hopefully the new place will give it more light. I water it every week and I do as I just learned on a website about dracaenas - when the surface soil is dry, it is time to water and that seems to be about every week. I've checked before those times and it is actually dry quite quickly. How much water should I be giving it, when I do water?? The pot is 14" wide and 12" high. The soil is 2.5" down from the top of the pot. I have no idea what the soil is b/c I haven't transferred it out of its original pot yet. It has gotten new growth regularly so I thot it was doing well. Now I understand that it needs to be misted b/c I live in a very dry home.

Also, Steve, how much and how often should I be watering the Lepismium cruciforme?? It being a cacti (and that's all I knew about it), I watered it just a tablespoon every other week b/c I didn't know its name so didn't know when its growing time was.

Jocelyn - please jump in and answer my questions to Steve, if you have an answer for me, too.

Thanks once again for your help. Once I get moved I will take pics of each of my remaining cacti and get their names so I can research better care for them.

5. Analogdog

Analogdog Active Member 10 Years

It is not too clear to me about the first plant being a Hoya. Are the leaves thickened and waxy?

6. Barbara92021

Hi Analogdog!
    That's exactly what made me question the possible hoya - the leaves are not delicate but not overly thick and they were the opposite of waxy. The leaves are way more dull than the shiny appearance I've seen on the 2 hoyas I've owned.

Also, the white dots were on the leaves right from the first day I saw this plant and looked like they were a part of the leaf not something growing on them.

Plus, where the new shoots going from the main stem are, is a few short stems curling around in a clump before the new stem starts with the leaf. I know that's a horrid explanation but I can't think of a better way to explain it. I wish now I would've taken a better pic that showed those. If you can do a close up of the pic, you will see what I mean. I had never seen that on any plant before.

My thot when I got this plant was that it was an ivy of some sort b/c it was growing around the dracaena trunk and up thru its leaves, like an ivy would.

7. pwk

pwk Active Member

if it helps, i agree with the hoya identification.
    my hoya has the same white specks, i think it's just the way some of them are coloured.
    the leaf structure on mine is also very similar to yours.
    i could send you picture if you like.

8. joclyn

joclyn Rising Contributor

not all hoya are thick-leaved, nor are they all waxy/glossy either. there are plenty that have some kind of speckling on them as well.

leaf shape can range from round to oval and variations in between, with distinct points or not. leaf size ranges from half inch to over three.