Need help with Palm

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by PamelaDee, Jan 21, 2009.

1. PamelaDee

PamelaDee Active Member

Anyone know what's wrong with my palm? It seems like this came on very fast. Usually mist my plants every other day and just notice this yesterday. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. Bluewing

Bluewing Well-Known Member

Looks like a Chamaedorea elegans "parlor palm."

Not knowing how your caring for it, these palms like semi moist soil, but not wet or dry. If you have a Spathiphyllum (peace lily) they are basically the same care.
    When the top inch feels dry, or, at least close to dry, it's time to water. Water it thoroughly, enough so it comes out the bottom, then spill out the drained water.

Give it indirect bright light/dapple light.

Use diluted fertilizer to less then half strength in the spring and summer months every other month is fine.No need to mist, it really does nothing since the water dries so fast. Misting can also cause other problems.

Spidermites are known to infest palms, so you might want to check the leaves carefully, or any other pest. For spidermites, check for thin wispy webbing.

3. PamelaDee

PamelaDee Active Member

Thanks so much for the help! As for misting, I had read that it reduces the chance of spider mite infestations, which I've had about a month ago. I "think" I've got the spider mites under control now. My other plants seem to be doing well. Does the misting help for the mites? My house is very dry and quite warm.

4. Bluewing

Pam,

Misting in a dry house for humidity doesn't really help, it can spread pest and diseases on the plant, not to mention cause mold problems.

Yes, if you think your palm still might have a mite problem, misting can help keep their numbers down, they hate humidity! They can be hard to get rid of sometimes because they are hard to see. You should see some mites if you tap the leaves over a white piece of paper...
    At watering time, spray the leaves as well, a kitchen sink sprayer works well.

You can also spray weekly with an insecticidal soap, or, make your own, a few drops of mild soap and water in a spray bottle and spray every inch of the palm, you want the plant dripping, spray under the leaves too.
    In the warmer months, if you put your palm outside in the shade, the humidity can also help.

Make sure your other plants are not near the palm if it does still have a mite problem, because they can also become infested.

5. PamelaDee

PamelaDee Active Member

Wow almost everything I've read was complete different from what you've said! How can misting spread disease though? And thanks for your help!

6. Bluewing

Misting plants can create fungal problems on the surface of the soil, and on the leaves. Water on the surface of the leaves form a barrier where bacteria/disease can run wild and multiply and then can spread to other leaves as it drips. That's one of the reasons why I don't mist:)

7. PamelaDee

PamelaDee Active Member

Well then I guess I'll stop. Thanks again for all your help!

8. Bluewing

Your welcome and good luck with your palm:)

9. JenRi

JenRi Active Member

Well I have to mist my Cordy or it complains at me lol.

But moist air is an ideal breeding ground for bacteria and mould...I've had no problems with misting so far but each to their own!

10. PamelaDee

PamelaDee Active Member

I've been misting for quite awhile too. Maybe I'll just reduces how often I do mist. It helps keep my plants clean!

11. JenRi

JenRi Active Member

That too....I only mist mine every other day as I know you have to be a bit careful about how much water you give cordy's and drac's.

12. Bluewing

Many houseplants are good adapters and will adjust to low humidity without any problems.
    I have a couple of boston ferns who can be humidity hogs, lol, but I've never misted any of them and they do fine, even in the dry winter.
    Yep, misting is good for cleaning the leaves of smaller plants. Bigger ones I'll just hose them down in summer, or throw them in the shower now and then.

13. Davidm

Davidm Active Member 10 Years

I have a Chamaedorea that looks the same way.I just potted it into a fancier pot and found that the pot wasn't draining properly.I then repotted it into a different pot with better drainageand now it's starting to look better. check your drainage.They don't like to set in water.

14. PamelaDee

PamelaDee Active Member

I'll check that out...Thanks