Need Help on propagation amarylis

Discussion in 'Plant Propagation' started by bpnussman, Apr 26, 2008.

1. bpnussman

bpnussman Member

We live in North Fla and have several hundred amarylis that were in full bloom last month.
    Now they have a one inch star shaped pod where the blooms were and are cracking open and the have what appears to be a dozen seed in each pod. Are these seed and can they be grown? (our bulbs stay in the ground year around and we know the bulbs can be dug up , split and replanted, but we want to try to seed)
    HELP

Thanks

2. lorax

lorax Rising Contributor 10 Years

Yup - you can definitely sew that and get new ones. It's how I ended up with a whole lawn of them - I forgot about them after they bloomed and the wind scattered the seeds down the hill.

3. Millet

Millet Well-Known Member 10 Years

It is possible to propagate Amarylls from seeds, but they germinate slowly and very unevenly, and thake many years to bloom. The offsets may be removed and planted, and these should bloom in about two years. - Millet

4. bpnussman

bpnussman Member

Millet

Thanks for your reply!

5. bpnussman

bpnussman Member

Thanks for your reply!

We had one other reply that advised they were very difficult to grow from seed and took 2 years to bloom.

6. lorax

lorax Rising Contributor 10 Years

I think it depends on where you are. I live in the tropics, so they have no down-season for me. That, and my soils are really really rich.

Personal results may vary.