Identification: need help, black hairy fungi

Discussion in 'Fungi, Lichens and Slime Molds' started by Eko Cahya, Feb 5, 2019.

1. Eko Cahya

Eko Cahya New Member

found this fungi on the log in forest. it is black, and look like hair. i'm not sure if it is phyomyces or stemonitis, could some one tell me the difference? here are some picture of the fungi, on the log and under microscope (400x). does anyone can identified this fungi? thank you
    hitam.JPG
    fungi on the log
    hitam1.JPG
    it is about 0.5 cm long
    hitam 4.jpg j1-400x 1.jpg
    400x under microscope

Attached Files:

2. Frog

Frog Generous Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

Hi Eko - nice find!

This is a myxomycete, a slime mold, called Stemonitis. It is in a different kingdom than fungi. Myxomycetes are extremely interesting, I recommend checking out information on these. Yours is in late stage of spore release.
    Thank you for sharing the microscopic images!

The difference between Phycomyces and Stemonitis, using regular vision, is that Stemonitis come typically in these packed clusters, thickened with spores the top 2/3 or so and a thin wiry looking "stem" below, whereeas Phycomyces are taller, bushy, tiny bobble on the end.
    That is a good question - while answering it I realize that these two very unrelated clades superficially bear more resemblance than I had considered before.
    Phycomyces is also growing from a substrate like dog poop, whereas Stemonitis has found a log or stumptop, to get high up to release spores.
    Stemonitis also go through a shape and colour transformation to reach this spore release stage, and I don't think Phycomyces look much different as they grow.

cheers,
    frog

Last edited: Feb 6, 2019
    Eko Cahya likes this.
  3. Eko Cahya

Eko Cahya New Member

Thanks Frog, good to know that was stemonitis, I was looking for large fungi, so stemonitis is not my target. Thanks for answering my question, it was confusing for me because it producing dark spores when I found it.

Frog likes this.