Need hammock/sling for fruit/vegetable support

Discussion in 'Fruit and Vegetable Gardening' started by Junglekeeper, Apr 2, 2020.

1. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

Is there a commercially available product, preferable available locally in the Vancouver area, that can be used to support fruit/vegetable to relieve the strain on a plant from their weight? I'm looking for something like that pictured in Figure 8 in the following document: 20.4 Pumpkin - PlantBreeding. It is to be used for various varieties of citrus fruit.

There are drawstring mesh bags available from dollar stores but the ones I've seen are quite large. I'll take a closer look for small ones once the COVID-19 situation improves. Something can be improvised from mesh bags for onions and such but hoping for a specially purposed product.

2. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

After making the initial post I spent some time looking for a product and found a couple (see below) that were marketed as fruit protection bags. One was simply a small mesh bag with a drawstring. It would probably work but not the ideal so I let the matter rest for a while.
    Then it occurred to me the other day that a face mask, a reusable one made from fabric, would work nicely as a sling. Of course the ear loops should also be of fabric. Masks are relatively expensive but I don't need very many of them and those that have served their primary purpose as a mask and are to be disposed of can be recycled as slings.