Nanaimo peach

Discussion in 'Fruit and Nut Trees' started by drenajean, Sep 5, 2018.

Tags:
  1. drenajean

drenajean Member

I am looking for a source of the "Nanaimo" variety of peach tree. US sources tell me it was propagated in Canada, but I cannot find any mention of it with internet searches. Failing that, I am interested in any varietal suggestions for espaliering on a south-facing wall on an oceanfront property near Powell River.

2. vitog

vitog Contributor 10 Years

I can't help you with a source for a Nanaimo peach tree. I was curious about it because I'd like to graft another leaf curl-resistant variety on my peach tree. It's interesting that a local Canadian variety is more readily available in the US than in Canada. The reviews that I read make it seem ideal for southwestern BC. I've had several Renton peach trees over the years and replaced the latest Renton with a Frost peach tree 2 years ago. I think that the Frost is more productive than the Renton, but both seem to be pretty resistant to leaf curl. My problem with practically all stone fruit trees that I grow is Coryneum Blight, and both of these varieties are susceptible. At least the copper spray that I use to control the blight also works against the leaf curl.