Identification: Name that Fern?

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by Luperus D, Mar 27, 2008.

1. photopro

photopro Well-Known Member

We are taking this thread on a wild tangent, but PhotoShop is still the best program avaiable for photo adjustment purposes. One big problem is if you convert a file from PSD to GIF the number of colors is dramatically reduced. As a result, colors shift on the computer screen and in some cases the contrast seems to "tighten" up. For the average monitor, no big deal. If you are working with a good graphics monitor, its a big deal.

I used to own a graphic design company in Florida and we produced millions of hotel brochures for some of the largest resort hotels in the Caribbean. Promise, if you've ever been to Cancun you've seen my photos in the brochures of a bunch of hotels. I used to produce the brochures for close to 20% of all the hotels on that island as well as the largest watersports operation in Mexico. Without PhotoShop, we would not have been able to make a living! I know the program well, but never used it professionally. I paid very good graphic designers to do the work and as a fringe benefit made my employees teach me how to use the program. Now I just play with it!

2. natureman

natureman Active Member

Your "free computer software" is free, as in money value. Not in open-source, that's what free means to me, the ability to edit and change anything I want-freedom :)

But, I better stop talking about this, too off topic and I can go on for days bashing the monopolistic companie(s) of the OS industry ;)

I just moved the Parlor Palm I had indoors near my sunroom glass door into the sunroom. Hopefully they'll enjoy the increased sunlight.

3. Luperus D

Luperus D Member

Heh heh, I don't mind, Photopro, helps me get to know the forums members a little better.

4. photopro

photopro Well-Known Member

My softwqre wasn't free! I think Natureman was talking to someone else. You could buy a month's worth of groceries for what a copy of PhotoShop sells for! But it's worth it!

5. Luperus D

Luperus D Member

I think he was talking to me, the college gave me PS 7 and 4 and my old workplace gave me CS2

6. natureman

natureman Active Member

I don't remember who I was talking to, but more people need to realize there are Free/OpenSource programs that work as well and even sometimes better than the propripetary stuff (Such as GIMP instead of Adobe's Photoshop).

Photopro: Since you mentioned how parlor palms actually enjoy light, I put mine in my sunroom yesterday. It's actually looking much happier if you know what I mean, green. :D