Mystery structure on brugmansia --- bloom?

Discussion in 'Outdoor Tropicals' started by Thomas Anonymous, Sep 30, 2006.

1. Thomas Anonymous

Thomas Anonymous Active Member

I bought a mystery cutting a few months ago. It was supposed to be a 'tree datura' and I guessed it was a brugmansia. It was a 10 inch cutting with one leaf on it this July and now it's almost 4 feet tall. But it hasn't bloomed at all, yet, and I was wondering if this little structure seen in the pic I attached is destined to become a flower. Does anyone recognize it as a brugmansia pre-flower? I haven't seen this type of structure form before. What are the chances it will bloom this year? Anybody care to guess?
    Sorry about the large picture size, I'll try to figure out how to downsize image files one of these days.

Attached Files:

2. LPN

LPN Well-Known Member 10 Years

Indeed. What you're seeing is the start of a flower formation.
    Cheers, LPN.

3. Carol Ja

Carol Ja Active Member 10 Years

Lets hope that it blooms before the cold weather shows up.
    Are you bringing it in for the winter? Always a good idea if you can.

4. Thomas Anonymous

It IS a bloom --- woohooo, I won't have to wait til next year! I'll hit it with more fertilizer now that I know. I was planning to slowly start cutting back on fertilizer and watering to avoid etiolation, but not anymore.
    It's 3 or 4 feet high and in a 10 inch diameter pot, I probably should repot it, too. For sure I'll be bringing it inside and putting it on my windowsill. I've heard so much about how fragrant brugmansia blooms are, I can't wait. It'll be awesome if it keeps blooming for a while (maybe all thru winter is asking a lot) but I'll do my best and maybe even get a special light for it.
    This is my first brug --- I'm inexperienced with them. Any advice on extending bloom times (especially for potted brugs that get relocated indoors) would be gratefully accepted!
    Good to know about the flower formation --- thanks for that.

5. Carol Ja

Just so your aware, they smell better at night.
    If in a pot, provide it with the biggest pot you can. If your going to bring it in with lights, feed regularly, as they are pigs, and water lots.

6. palmera

palmera Active Member

A word of caution if you have kids or pets, before you bring your brug into the house...all parts are poisonous. I have curious cats so I keep my brug in the garage for the winter. I keep it fairly dry and let it go dormant. In the spring, I give it a trim and water and fertilize and it grows like mad. They're tough.

7. Thomas Anonymous

yes, I'm aware of how toxic they are but I don't have pets or children here except sometimes my friend and his wife come and bring their baby but I'll endeavour to ensure the baby doesn't eat my brug --- I put a lot of effort into growing it and would hate to see it killed by someone's baby eating it.
    :)
    No, seriously, I know it's poisonous and won't let anything eat it.
    I just fed it more fertilizer and it's looking good.
    If it's more fragrant at night, I wonder if that means it's pollinator is some kind of nocturnal moth or bat or something. Interesting.
    Thanks for the advice and when it blooms I'll post a picture.

8. Carol Ja

I was told it was bats, but I don't know if they have noses long enough to get up inside, I'm would think it is a moth with a really long tongue.

9. LPN

I know there's a Gene Simmons joke here somewhere.
    Cheers, LPN.

10. Carol Ja

Nice bit of humour there Barrie. hee hee

11. LPN

Apparently he has a "reality show" now. I wonder if his audience would find the humor in this? I don't watch it, and I'll bet you don't either. I'm not sure Gene would like to be compared with a"moth with a really long tongue". He needs to get a gardening show!

Cheers, LPN.

12. K Baron

K Baron Well-Known Member

Well , after 7 years of experimenting with Brugmansias....I have to see the colour of your plant...I have had up to 245 blooms at a time, right into November...currently

the blossoms attract Honey bees and wasps...hmmm...late in the afternoon, the aroma
    is intoxicating . Here are a couple pix.

Now that I have a greenhouse, I can observe these 7 foot behemoths w/o hybernating them.

Will I still have to let them dry out?

/Users/-/Desktop/IMG_0008.JPG
    /Users/-/Desktop/IMG_0004.JPG

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2006
  13. Thomas Anonymous

Do you mean you have to see the color of MY plant to be able to determine how or if it will bloom? I attached a pic of it to the first post in this thread. If that picture's not good enough to tell the colors that you need to, I can always take another shot. That's the beauty of digital cameras --- the more pictures you take, the lower the ultimate cost per picture that you end up paying so it acts like an incentive to me anyway, to take more pics. It's just the opposite with film cameras where the more you shoot the more you pay (for film).

14. palmera

palmera Active Member

TA, I had posted a previous thread about not having any blooms on my brug...well guess what I saw today...a tiny bloom pod just like yours! I guess the race is on to see who's blooms first! (and what color she be) With a good week of sun still to come and if we fertilize tons...we'll see!

15. Thomas Anonymous

KB, I can't see the pictures --- the link you put there seems like part of a filename, perhaps on a linux system (because of the "/users/" folder common to UNIX-type filesystems). It doesn't seem like a properly formatted URL.
    I discovered an easy way to post pics in these forums with the button that has a paperclip icon but you can't use the 'quick reply' feature because it doesn't give you the 'paperclip' (attach upload) button. I'd like to see your pictures, if you can find the time to re-post them.

16. K Baron

Last edited: Mar 31, 2007
  17. K Baron

Last edited: Mar 31, 2007
  18. Thomas Anonymous

Wow. Thats awesome. very nice. I hope mine look like that in year or three.

19. Carol Ja

Wow, what a great plant!! How have you taken care of it in the winter?

OT: Yeah your right Barrie, I only get one channel on my telly, not worth the effort to watch the crap thats on it. Gene has a show eh, doubt I'll bother to pay money to watch, he's a bit creepy with that tongue.

20. LPN

Interesting! I can't say I've seen so many blooms on a plant with such sparce foliage. Usually I have a balance between the two.
    Very nice just the same. Cheers, LPN.

P.S. Carol, if I had my way (which I don't), I'd get rid of my TV altogether. I tend to stick to a few educational programs for the most part.

21. palmera

palmera Active Member

KB, That's HUGE! Did you bring this one into your greenhouse this past winter? What variety of Brug it is?

22. Carol Ja

Well LPN, I was just thinking maybe you were a bit envious of the size of Gene's tongue, but maybe that sort of talk belongs on the UKO site.

23. Thomas Anonymous

I just measured my bloom structure --- it's 17mm and increasing in size at the rate of a mm or so a day. I hope it can bloom before frost sets in, but since it's in a small pot and capable of being moved easily, I'll probably bring it in and out because I'm so interested in seeing it blossom. How's your doing?

24. K Baron

T A the Yellow blossom Brug is now 1.5 years old, it stays in the garage after the first light frost...usually in November, and outside by March/April...this is the fourth
    wave this season, it started blooming in April...Its roots remain soaking wet all summer...and dry by December. I plant cuttings all spring/summer , they too have bloomed... I will overwinter a couple specimens in the greenhouse. Unfortunately the
    type of brug remains a mystery. I expect one more massive bloom by Nov. The 12 other plants are in full bloom.

25. palmera

palmera Active Member

TA, my brug pod is 40mm long, up from 30 yesterday. It is in a big pot and I have been giving it a weak mix of liquid 20/20/20 everyday that I water. The bud is growing very quickly and I remain hopeful...