Identification: Mystery Plant

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by qubit, Jan 5, 2005.

1. qubit

qubit Member

I don't know what this plant is called. My mom calls is a "Velvet Slipper," but she makes things up a lot, and I can't find anything about it on line (other than shoes). The leaves are fuzzy, and the fuzz is purple. I sure would like to know what it really is to make sure it's safe around my cat, or rather my cat is safe around it. :) I had one years ago and I didn't know what it was then either.

This is my first time posting and I uploaded a picture of the plant, but when I preview my message I don't see it or a link. So, if it's not showing up I would appreciate some tips on how to do it.

Thanks

Attached Files:

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Gynura aurantiaca .

3. jimmyq

jimmyq Well-Known Member 10 Years

I wonder why it is that this plant seems to come up so often on the ID section. does the tag company not make a tag for it or what?

4. qubit

qubit Member

Thanks

Thanks for the ID, and as for a tag, this came from a cutting from my mom and she doesn't make tags, just makes up names. :)

5. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Tell her it's called a purple passion plant, see what she thinks of that.

6. qubit

qubit Member

I did tell her and she just said, "Oh, well it's always been a Velvet Slipper to me." I also tried to tell her the real name, but I cannot pronounce it. :)

7. Marn

Marn Active Member 10 Years

Ron it is a Purple Velvet Plant .. i think the purple passion plant is the big purple flower outdoor plant .. im not to good with the outdoor plants . but i love my houseplants ..
    :c) .. and oh ya watch out for the yellow flowers on it .. they stink like rotten feet . remove them when they come out .. they r ones u dont want hanging around ..lol

Marn