Mystery Larch

Discussion in 'Gymnosperms (incl. Conifers)' started by Luke Harding, Feb 7, 2008.

1. Luke Harding

Luke Harding Active Member

Hi Folks,
    I've recently purchased a small Larch labelled Larix laricina 'Arethusa bog' but have failed miserably to find any information on it. How does it differ from the species?

2. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

3. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Don't know what the case is here but some conifers are sold with wild locations attached to indicate seed source origins. Most of the time this occurs during the servicing of operations such as Christmas tree plantations. To this end some seed houses may offer multiple named strains of noble firs, for instance. If unnamed selections or random seedlings from these seed collections get into ornamental horticultural commerce the seed origin names may become used as cultivar names.

4. JamesVA

JamesVA Member

For what it's worth, Conifers: The Illustrated Encyclopedia (generally good, but not 100% accurate) says that this is a witches broom. The photo given shows a loose bun-like plant, maybe a foot or two in diameter.

-James

5. Luke Harding

Luke Harding Active Member

Brill. Thanks for the info. So, it could be a dwarf or a full sized tree, it may be blue or maybe even a yellowish colour (according to that encyclopedia). I think I'll keep it in a pot just to be on the safe side.
    Thanks for the effort though guys :)