Hedges: Mystery Cedar Hedge Deaths

Discussion in 'Gymnosperms (incl. Conifers)' started by Ray Klassen, Apr 5, 2007.

1. Ray Klassen

Ray Klassen Member

Hi,

I live near Nelson BC and planted this soon-to-be-I-hope Brandon Cedar hedge in a prepared trench about 5 years ago as small seedlings. Since then two or three die each year. The affected shrubs are not necessarily close to each other (see photo) and they die at different times of year. I watered with an underground soaker until last year when I only overhead watered.......no difference. I give them a fair amount of water but I live on a creek delta and the soil drains very well. They are in direct sunlight. Behind them is a highway (elevated by a few feet). I fertilize with tree spikes at the drip line and never come close to exceeding the directions. I might think winter salt from the highway but the two in the photo turned brown last fall well before last winter started and well after (7 months) the end of the previous winter. Other years they've turned brown at different times. One notable thing, as seen in the photo, is that they die one stem at a time and sometimes the remaining stem(s) will remain green for a long time. I haven't tried to revive the plant from the surviving trunk but replace them as I think they'll take forever to fill in.

Any suggestions? Thanks, Ray

Attached Files:

2. jimweed

jimweed Active Member 10 Years

Is there the possibility that some of the trees may have been planted a bit deep? Is there a chance that the branches first to die are attached to the trunk just below the dirt level? How far down is the root crown?

Something is killing them, I would be looking in the direction of the roots and why they're not pumping fluids up to the branches. Jim.

3. Ray Klassen

Ray Klassen Member

Hi Jim,

Thanks for the reply.

I dug down through the roots to about 8" and didn't find a defined root crown. There are many fine hair roots coming from all of the woody area that is below the surface. In the photo, the hole is about 8" deep. At this point (8") larger roots start to appear. I also see when I pull down the dead branches, they are quite punky and have what looks like white mould in the break.

Thanks,

Ray

Attached Files:

4. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

This result from such plantings is common, probably numerous posts asking about parts of arborvitae hedges dying out just on this web site alone (maybe try a site search). Down here samples could be taken to Cooperative Extension for analysis, maybe the appropriate ministry up there can help you.

Not that I'm saying it was definitely the cause of death in this instance but while we are all looking I would like to point out that the soilless potting medium around the roots is dust dry, despite the plant having been in the ground for some time, and also that the roots are deformed from being grown in a container too long without being moved up. Two very common occurrences with container-grown nursery stock.

http://www.puyallup.wsu.edu/~Linda Chalker-Scott/Horticultural Myths_files/Myths/Fragile roots.pdf

5. Ray Klassen

Ray Klassen Member

Thanks Ron,

After reading Dr. Chalker-Scott's article it really does make sense especially since there are so few large roots. I would be guilty of being quite careful with roots coming out of pots. Perhaps another indicator would be the slow growth of this hedge even though I think I baby it. Any suggestions for helping the remaining plants?

Regards,

Ray

6. jimweed

Hi Ray,

I can see where you mean the wood looks punky and rotten. Was the branch attached to the trunk below the surface? It kind of looks as if it was. If so could be a good reason for it to get that way. The white mold is likely just a growth that has come after the wood has rotted and too likely any cause.

Like you mention there really isn't too much in the line of a crown or even much of a root system. Has that particular tree been dead for some time or is it a live one? Seems there are more roots deeper and you can see what looks like the tap root.

Cross checking the depth of the dead ones vs. the live ones to see if there is any similarity may help in determining if this is a route to pursue.

You mentioned your watering system with under ground soaker hose for the first few years. Did you ever get enough time to regularly check the amount of water that may have been saturating the roots at the early stages of the trees development.

It sure can be an exhausting operation getting a hedge to survive all the natural problems. How many have died? How many did you plant? Seems the others are doing well, and I sure hope they continue to do so.

Please feel free to send some more pics of anything that concerns you. In the mean time I would look at all the trunks and just clear back any where branches may be below the surface or the trunk just looks a bit deep. I would continue to over head water and use you finger for a while to check the moisture and how long it does hold the water. Although you may already know this. It is not a bad thing to let them dry out between waterings.

I hope this has been of some help, Jim.

7. Ray Klassen

Ray Klassen Member

Hi Jim,

I'm not sure if the branch was attached below ground as the two offenders are long gone and replaced with new optimism.

That tree had been dead since last fall, so not too long.

In the future I will compare the depth of any that die with the average depth. I'm hoping this won't be necessary (see "optimism" above).

About the underground watering, do you think that perhaps saturating the soil inhibited proper root growth?

Three or four have died each year of the 55 in the hedge but it seems to be improving as last year it was just 1 1/2 :).

Thanks for your help Jim.

Regards,

Ray

8. jimweed

Hi Ray, I would imagine if the roots stayed saturated with water for prolonged times during the growing season it must have a negative effect. But I can't say for sure, I really don't know.

That article Ron linked to above really shows the light on how important it is for proper planting. There is so many things that are commonly over looked when that tree, shrub, plant, or whatever is plunked into the ground.

All the best, Jim.