Myrciaria cauliflora - Jaboticaba or Brazilian grape tree

Discussion in 'Botany Photo of the Day Submissions' started by pmurphy, Sep 9, 2019.

1. pmurphy

pmurphy Active Member

Here is an unusual tree that most people will never see or hear about, the Jaboticaba. Listed as a zone 9b tropical or tender perennial, it will grow up to 40 ft and is listed as evergreen (although this particular one will shed all its leaves in the early spring).
    An interesting fact about this tree is that it produces edible fruit on the trunk and must shred the bark before it can do so (the tree in the photo is about 4 ft tall and starting to shed)

IMG_1610.JPG

2. wcutler

wcutler Esteemed Contributor Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

You're growing this here? In a greenhouse? Has it flowered, had fruit yet?

3. pmurphy

pmurphy Active Member

As this tree is still young it overwinters in the house but my ultimate goal it to climatize it enough to plant it in my covered garden (unheated but protected from snow and too much rain). It currently stays inside until March/April and then goes out into my backyard until mid-September, and when it goes outside each spring it will drop all its leaves before regrowing without issue so I believe it to be hardier than listed.
    It started shedding for the first time last year so I'm hoping that it will soon think about producing fruit

wcutler likes this.