Myers lemon tree falling over

Discussion in 'Citrus' started by HOPELR, Jul 28, 2008.

1. HOPELR

HOPELR Member

My myers lemon tree is falling over. It has grown well and produces many lemons year round. I am concerned that the lemons are weighing down the branchers while the lemons are still green. What should I do? We live in Tampa florida.

2. Dylan G

Dylan G Active Member

Telling us the size of the tree and including a picture would help out. If it is a small tree you could try staking it up. If the branches are not breaking and the tree has not been deformed much I don't think that it is a big problem. Someone else may have some better suggestions so wait and see if you get another responce.

3. HOPELR

HOPELR Member

it is a good sized tree. I would say over 6 feet tall.

4. drichard12

drichard12 Active Member 10 Years

I also suggest staking, Your other choice is to remove some lemons to lighten the load. Dale

5. Therese

Therese Member

My father has a potted outdoor Meyer lemon in San Francisco, and when it's bearing many lemons he stakes it and even has made a few branched "crutches" to support its heaviest "arms." That works well.

6. skeeterbug

skeeterbug Active Member

Is this tree inground or potted? If you are talking about a pot falling over, you can increase pot size or put the tree with existing pot in a larger heavier pot. If you are talking about inground trees, I am not that familiar with large Meyer Lemon trees, but my Lisbon has many limbs that bend almost double with fruit, I have never had any break.

7. Laaz

Laaz Active Member 10 Years

You can use twine and tie the branch back to the main trunk to keep it off the ground. I have to do this with my satsumas all the time. If its bush form, tie it back the a sturdier branch to keep it up & off the ground. Here a photo so you get the point... What a artist huh ? lol....

Attached Files:

8. drichard12

drichard12 Active Member 10 Years

At times the main leader can not support the fruit load and outside supports are needed. I use lazz's way many times, but using additonal support as (Therese) posted is perhaps the best way. Dale