Mycorrhizal

Discussion in 'Soils, Fertilizers and Composting' started by H20.world, Jan 6, 2006.

1. H20.world

H20.world Member

Any comments or perils of wisdom on this product?

If thinking of adding it to my coco...

2. jimmyq

jimmyq Well-Known Member 10 Years

individual plant species respond or not to the addition of mychorhizzae. Species are specific and commercial products are generally blends of endo and/or ecto mychrhizzae. I have found hostas respond really well to the addition of this product and there are a number of plants that dont. try googling it and see what you can come up with.

http://orissagov.nic.in/e-magazine/...hizaanditssignificanceinsustainableforest.pdf

http://www.laspilitas.com/classes/mycorrih.htm

a couple of links that may be of interest.

3. growest

growest Active Member 10 Years

H20--some large companies like Monrovia have been using myco on everything for decades now...I imagine they have done the accounting and seen an advantage. Most of the advantage, however, is seen after things are planted in the ground. Plants in nurseries are often given near optimum conditions for growth, but once planted in the landscape have to "fend for themselves" to a much greater degree.

Along the same line, are you growing hydroponically? If so, the plants again are being "micromanaged" nutritionally at least, and might show little or no difference with myco additions.

The cost per plant can be very low, just pennies per plant, so I like to innoculate all my seedlings and cuttings as "insurance", but can't give any controlled expt. results from my end. A controlled expt. would be fairly easy to run, perhaps you would try that and let us know the result? Just to confuse things, different commercial innocula seem quite variable in their results...not sure what brands you have there but one innocula producer in Oregon seems to come out on top of the results I've seen reported.

Glen