My umbrella plant is dying. What can I do? I already repotted

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by Nellynell, Sep 7, 2022.

1. Nellynell

Nellynell New Member

Hi I had this plant for about a year and recently some of the leaves started turning black and falling off. From what I've read it more than likely root rot. I recently repotted the plant but it doesn't seem to be doing much better. The leaves are really droopy and at their root they are kind of wrinkled and still firm at the same time. Is there anything I can do?

Attached Files:

2. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

Welcome, @Nellynell. The droopy leaves will probably not perk up. But the new leaves look good, don't they? It might be ok. Make sure not to water it until it's lighter than it was just after you watered it. And it looks like there are no drainage holes at the bottom of that pot. If there were, you would be damaging the floor. I would suggest that if there are no holes at the bottom, that you plant it again into a pot in which water could not collect at the bottom. You don't want to have rocks or anything under the soil, thinking that would keep the roots from rotting. Just soil down to the bottom of the pot, and holes at the bottom to make sure water can't collect at the bottom.

3. Nellynell

Nellynell New Member

Thank you Wendy, the pot does have drainage holes. I put it on the floor after it was completely drained. I will take your advice and make sure not to water it until all the soil is one color. Oh and yes the new leaves looks pretty good. Do you think I should remove the weak droopy stems that are going to eventually fall off, or just let it happen naturally? Thanks again for your insight and welcome!

4. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

Perhaps it just needs time to recover. If the plants did indeed suffer root damage, either from drought or rot, it seems natural that the foliage would remain droopy until new roots have developed sufficiently to make up for that which was lost.

5. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

I can't answer that, sorry. I never know which is better. Maybe someone else can answer.

Nellynell likes this.