My Prayer Plant is blooming! :oD

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by Krista2882, Apr 3, 2012.

1. Krista2882

Krista2882 Active Member

I got this Prayer Plant from a co-worker, and it was growing but not super healthy. The leaves were all brown at the tips. I even used to mist it every day. Well, I was out of work on vacation between Christmas and New Year's and that same co-worker was supposed to water the plants in my cubicle. Well, HE FORGOT! lol. I came back and while my other plants were ok- just droopy (two spider plants, two different types of Chinese Evergreen, an orchid [not currently blooming], and two different types of this viney plant I forgot the name of), the Prayer Plant was all shriveled and brown. A ton of dry leaves fell off, and only a few were left hanging on until they all turned brown and died within a week or so even though I continued to water it.
    So I thought it was dead, but I just kept the pot behind some of my other plants.
    One day about a month ago, I noticed a leaf shooting up!! And then another! And now it is all lush and green and the leaves are so huge- way bigger than they were before, and they're green without any brown edges, and then I came into work this morning and there's a flower starting to bloom! I swear that flower stalk wasn't even there yesterday when I watered it.
    I had no idea that these plants even got flowers.
    Now I'm actually glad my coworker "killed" my plant, because now it's doing better than ever!

2. lorax

lorax Rising Contributor 10 Years

Maranta do sometimes like a dormant, dry period from time to time - your cow-orker (without realizing it) actually simulated a tropical summer for the plant! Then, when you noticed it come out of dormancy, you started watering, yes? That's a rainy season for your plant, and they generally will bloom during the rainy season.

Kudos, though - it's not often that Maranta and their like bloom up north.

3. Krista2882

Krista2882 Active Member

That's really interesting that it could go dormant like that. I assumed that because all the leaves were dead that the plant was dead so I stopped watering it. It was dormant for a while, too- about 3 months!
    So yeah, I started watering it again when I saw new leaves. It's in a west-facing window that gets direct sun in the late afternoon