My poor Hardy Hibiscus :(

Discussion in 'Hibiscus' started by turboturtle, Jun 22, 2008.

1. turboturtle

turboturtle Member

Please help me. My Hardy Hibiscus Plant is growing very well this spring here in Salt Lake City. But over the last week she has decided to lay down. Is there something I can do to strengthen her stalks? I'm afraid she is not strong enough to hold herself up, or that she is dying. Can anyone help me please?

2. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

I can't really say what is happening there. Is this a new plant? Is it in full sun? Has the weather been severely hot and dry like? I know the weather has been been quite hot in many areas of the States recently.

3. irishlazz

irishlazz Member

I have one, they like LOTS of water. =)

4. Durgan

Durgan Contributor 10 Years

I wrap a green string around the clump about 1/3 up the stalks, and it withstands all, and is quite tall and the stems are reasonably strong and branches out normally. A heavy rain can cause drooping due to the weight on the stalks. In the Fall it is covered with about three inches of good compost, and comes up every year. I do throw a 5 gallon pail of water on the roots periodically, and mulch it heavily. It is in full sun.

5. turboturtle

turboturtle Member

I will try to tie her, I'm afraid something else is going on because the new growth seems to be curling up. It has been quite hot and dry, but we keep it watered well. I am absolutely devastated :(