My Palms Need Help

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by CALIFANGEL, Jan 19, 2006.

1. CALIFANGEL

CALIFANGEL Member

Hi All,
    I Live In N.e Alabama. Last Summer I Planted 2 Date Palms In My Little Garden. They Grew Beautifuly. Its My Little Calif Garden In Alabama.
    My Question Is This.................i Have Covered Them During Our Freezing Nite's.......a Few Nites Down To 25, Most Evening Down To 35-40. Day Time Highs Right Now In The 50-60 . Water Them When Needed. Let Them Have Sun When It Is Out.
    The Stalks Have Mostly Turned Brown. Not A Dead Brown..............just Brown. There Are Some Stalks That Are Green. Is This Normal For Them To Turn In The Colder Weather Or Are The Gonners And Will I Have To Replace Them. I Know This Is A Long Post.....just Want To Give A Little Info. I Have Attached 2 Pictures...........i Hope They Made It Threw.

Thank You In Advance For Any Input.

Lynne

Attached Files:

2. K Baron

K Baron Well-Known Member

Hello,

I have a Date Palm, much smaller than yours however, and it had survived -6 Celcius.

Perhaps sun scald is partially to blame.

I live in a wet cool maritime climate which is not suitable to our plants, but with care
    and some neglect, mine has survived in a pot, planted with an Indonesean Jacaranda...they are 6 years old. I am rewarded with gorgeous plume like leaf stalks in early summer...and the Palm continues to grow albeit,very slowly...

3. CALIFANGEL

CALIFANGEL Member

WHAT I DID YESTERDAY WAS CUT SOME OF THE BROWN STALKS OFF. NOT SURE IF THIS WILL HELP. I SURE DONT WANT THESE TO DIE ON ME. IF YOU LOOK AT THE PIC'S ANY HELP ON WHAT I SHOULD DO TO HELP GET HEALTHY AGAIN OR IS THIS NORMAL FOR OUTSIDE DATE PALMS TO TURN THIS COLOR IN THE WINTER. I HAD THEM IN CALIF BEFORE I MOVED TO ALABAMA. NO I DID NOT TRANSPLANT THEM FROM CALIF, BOUGHT THEM HERE. BUT IN CALIF THEY NEVER SHOWED THIS COLOR IN WINTER ............I GUESS BECUASE THE WINTERS DONT GET THAT COLD.
    I AM JUST SICKENED THAT THEY MIGHT BE DIYING ON ME.

ANY HELP WOULD BE SO APPRICIATED.
    P.S SORRY FOR TYPOS AS I HAVE MS AND FINGERS DONT ALWAYS WORK WELL.

LYNNE

4. Over watering may be an issue...I know that drying out my palm also is an issue...so a happy balance of watering only as needed....and they dislike root disturbance...I have lost a few seedlings due to improper transplanting...

Look for spider mites in the spring, and other pests...good luck!

5. LPN

LPN Well-Known Member 10 Years

What you have are not true Date palms (Phoenix dactylifera). These palms are Phoenix roebelinii or Pygmy/Dwarf Date palm. These are a small palms from S.E. Asia and take only a little frost, and of short duration. Zone 9b at best, and reliably hardy in zone 10. Freezing temps have damaged your palms. You can use your favorite search engine to gather further info on Phoenix roebelinii.

6. CALIFANGEL

CALIFANGEL Member

Thanks For The Info..........i Will Search...........and Now Go Cry Becuase They Are Dying On Me.
    Lynne