My new Agave pup

Discussion in 'Cacti and Succulents' started by GreenLarry, Jul 23, 2008.

1. GreenLarry

GreenLarry Active Member 10 Years

I received this today from a friend in Hungary. Its Agave verschaffeti minima
    -so far have been unable to find info on this species.

[​IMG]

2. Katalina25

Katalina25 New Member

Hi Larry,

Got it in my (I don't wanna brag lol) RHS Gardners Encyclopedia of Flowers and Plants...gigantic book...ahahahahahha

So...

...Its a genus of rosetted, perennial succulents with sword shaped, sharp -toothed leaves. Small species, to 30cms high. (I hope your patient because) it only flowers after 5-10 years: tall species to 5mitres high, may take 20-40 years to flower.

Most species with hard, blue-grey leaves are half hardy; grey - green - or green - leaved species are usually frost tender, min 5c (41f). Needs full sun and well drained soil. Prpagate by seed or offsets in spring or summer.

Enjoy your new plant Larry!

3. GreenLarry

Yea i have that book too,its huge with over 15,000 plants and 6,000 photos. Got mine for a fiver. Funny tho, that particular species isn't in mine!

4. Katalina25

Katalina25 New Member

Wow!!

Mine has over 8,000 plants and 4,000 of those plants featured in exquisite full-colour photographs.

There is a plant catalogue, creating a garden, and a plant dictionary. I think I bought it from a car boot so for a pittance lol but its an invaluble book which I look to for guidance on garden things often.

My late father left me with the garden Encyclopeadia which is just a small book but very imformative.

Attached Files:

• book.JPG
      book.JPG
      File size:
      161.6 KB
      Views:
  5. GreenLarry

Ah yea that's the book i had originally,cost me a fiver when i joined a book club ages ago,and then my brother ordered the big un,cost him a bit more. Then,knowing i'm more of a plant freak than he is we decided to swap books!

6. Katalina25

Katalina25 New Member

lolololl