My indoor cycad collection

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by Sunset Cycads, May 11, 2006.

1. Sunset Cycads

Sunset Cycads Active Member 10 Years

Cycads make wonderful house plants -- some species, anyway. Cycas revoluta, also known as the sago palm, is already becoming popular as an indoor plant. Zamia furfuracea, also known as the cardboard palm, is another example of a cycad that does well indoors. But there are other, more rare species, as well: Zamia vasquezi, Dioon spinulosum, Dioon edule (which has a lovely blue variety) for example. You won't find these rare plants in any nursery, however. I grow them from seed.

Here is my indoor collection of cycads, all of which have spent up to three years indoors and are loving it.

If anyone wants plants or seeds, please e-mail me privately.

--Lori

Attached Files:

2. Carol Ja

Carol Ja Active Member 10 Years

Was it you that asked about my Sago palm outside once? I'm on SaltSpring. It went through another winter, lost a couple of fronds, but seems fine. Are you getting your seeds from rarepalmseeds.com? If not who, may I ask.
    Carol

3. LPN

LPN Well-Known Member 10 Years

Well that's certainly an impressive collection of Cycads! Very well displayed in their containers as well.
    Cheers, LPN.

4. Carol Ja

Sorry, I should have mentioned that also, it is a great collection you have going.

5. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Agreed - a very nice collection.

6. Sunset Cycads

Sunset Cycads Active Member 10 Years

Hi, Carol.
    Yes, I think that was me asking about your sago.
    I did get some seeds from rarepalmseeds -- they are very good -- and also some from the Cycad Society, and from other seed houses over the years -- A&A Cycads in California. What about yourself, are you growing any from seed?
    --Lori

7. Carol Ja

Not yet, I was thinking of getting my grade five class to study them next year, along with palm trees. My grade one and two classes started palm seeds, to great success.
    They seem really into the challenge.