My Corn Plant is in Trouble

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by JudyL58, Dec 17, 2018.

1. JudyL58

JudyL58 New Member

Hi everyone, I’m Judy and I just joined this community tonight. My Corn plants leaves are turning yellow and brown. I do not over water. I check all of my plants twice a week to see if any need water and daily for pests. I have not seen any sign of pests and I only water once it has dried from the previous watering. It is winter so I have been spritzing it almost daily and it has a pebble tray to help with humidity. It in a good well draining soil. It has new growth. Our temps in the house at night and throughout the day are never below 65-70 degrees. I appreciate any help!

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 17, 2018
  2. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

If these are all lower leaves (not certain about that last photo), that is not a problem. Old leaves will die; there is nothing you can do about that. New leaves come at the top, old old leaves die from the bottom.

I wonder about sunburn in that last photo. Are you spraying with water when the sun is shining on the leaves?

3. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

The idea that water lying on leaves causes sunburn on a sunny day has been relegated to mythology.

There are many websites that explain why it is not a problem, among which are:
    https://nph.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1111/j.1469-8137.2009.03150.x (very detailed)
    Can water burn plant leaves? (succinct)

Judging from your pictures, I would say your cornflower plants look healthy and agree with Wendy that what, at first glance, may seem to be a problem is just normal leaf senescence. You certainly are taking very good care of your plants and obviously know what you are doing.

Junglekeeper likes this.
  4. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

Thanks, Margot.

5. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

Here's another article supporting this conclusion: The Myth of Hot-Weather Watering. This is one of many horticultural myths Linda Chalker-Scott has prepared a writeup for.

6. JudyL58

JudyL58 New Member

I do mist my Corn Plant pretty much daily, but it is several feet away from a north facing window. It gets light most of the day , but not direct sun.