my best seedling

Discussion in 'Maples' started by kbguess, Sep 24, 2008.

1. kbguess

kbguess Rising Contributor 10 Years

I hobby grow for rootstock (acer palmatum), but this little guy caught my attention.
    seedling2008.jpg
    Nodes are 2-3 mm apart,
    seedlingleaf2008.jpg
    nice leaf shape.

I loaned my Vertrees, so could anyone tell me of a cultivar with similar shaped leaf
    Thanks
    Keith

2. Kaitain4

Kaitain4 Well-Known Member Maple Society 10 Years

Well, since its a seedling its anyones guess what parentage it actually has. Out of my collection the leaf is closest to A.p. 'Yama hime'. I think you have a cool new tree, and need to grow it on for a few years to see what comes of it!

3. kbguess

K4
    thanks for 'Yama hime'. The photo you posted from Eastwoods does show very similar leaf shape.

I picked the seeds from a green leaf (plain species I am certain) tree in Albuquerque. A group of 3 are planted along side an apartment bldg near my parent's home.

Not many a.p. in Albuquerque, so relatively certain pollen donor one of the 3 also.

All other seedlings so far are typical green leaf.

Thanks again,

Keith

4. 01876

01876 Active Member

Hi Keith,

I was wondering what the chace is to get this "lucky one", how many seedling you grow this year?

thanks,

Joe

5. kbguess

Joe,

I grew around 250 from the seeds I picked in Albuquerque. I don't know if this is a typical percentage to find a 'lucky one'. I have been looking for a dissectum since I started a.p. seedlings about 4 years ago. Yet to get one of these.

I am sending my dad back to collect from the same trees this year, so will get another chance to check the 'odds'

Keith

6. cafernan

cafernan Active Member

Hi
    Please see my thread "Help please" that I dropped 2 weeks a go asking advice for my seedlings. Since yuo are growing from seed succesfully as far as I can see, I will appreciate your opinion.

Tnaks a lot for your support.
    regards
    Carlos

7. Kaitain4

Kaitain4 Well-Known Member Maple Society 10 Years

Carlos,

I have not forgotten your plight - a maple lover in a country where you cannot get maples! The seeds are ripening here, my friend; they are ready to pick. I have a number of Palmatums with seed and also some native Sugar maples and Red maples. Give your address and I will send you what I have, if you are still interested. Might be best to do it through a private message...