Musa Basjoo dying!

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by Geoff, Jun 19, 2004.

1. Hi All,

I bought a Musa Basjoo about two months ago (about 3 ft high and healthy)
    which I planted in a sunny but sheltered spot in well fertilised soil. After a few weeks it started to shoot up leaves but they started to go yellow, then brown round the edges and then shrivel and look very sorry for themselves. This has continued.....lots of leaves but even the biggest new one died around the edges (i.e went crispy and shrivelled) within a few days of being fully unfurled and the whole thing looks very sad and unwell.

I've read that they need lots of water and food so it gets watered every few days and gets a blast of Miracle-gro every week or 10 days. All the plants that are in the same bed are doing well and they all get the same treatment.

Maybe I'm overwatering....? when I water it does puddle round the base for a minute or so before it sinks into the earth......

If anyone has any suggestions as to what I'm doing wrong I'd be extremely grateful as I'm at a bit of a loss as to how to save it.

Thanks in advance for any advice you may have,

Geoff.

2. HortLine

HortLine Active Member 10 Years

Musa Basjoo advice

It sounds like you could be underwatering (the soil should never go dry in the summer) or over-fertilizing your Musa. One of our source books recommends fertilizing with a balanced liquid fertilizer (20-20-20) ONCE a month.

Other suggestions:

Stop fertilizing in late August to allow the tree to get ready for Fall.
    Prune older leaves when they turn yellow and brown.
    The sap of banana leaves can leave stains on your clothing, so careful when pruning!

Good Luck.

3. Re : Musa Basjoo Dying

Hi,

Thanks for the tip.....I'll ease off on the feed and see how it goes!

Geoff