multi colored hosta...

Discussion in 'Annuals, Biennials, Perennials, Ferns and Bulbs' started by Creeping Jenny, Apr 26, 2008.

1. Creeping Jenny

Creeping Jenny Active Member

Okay, I love the hosta plant. They have always been at my cottage, my parents and now, the new house I am in. I have never seen them just coming up at this time of year (ya... odd). Why are some bluish/purple and others white??

2. KarinL

KarinL Well-Known Member 10 Years

Do you mean the flowers? Or the emerging tips?

I'll assume flowers. There are several species of hosta, for example H. ventricosa, H. plantaginea, etc. Each has distinct characteristics, including flower colour. Most domestic hostas are not straight species but crosses or selections derived from one or more of the species, and will have the flower colour of their dominant parent plant.

3. Creeping Jenny

No flowers yet. They are just little emerging tips at the moment.

thanks!

4. joclyn

joclyn Rising Contributor

lots of plants have one color when they start to bud out and then that changes over time - sometimes it's a sun issue and other times it's just the nature of the plant that it changes color as it matures.

5. KarinL

KarinL Well-Known Member 10 Years

I should have guessed... that is just the product of the leaf/petiole colour, I would guess.

6. Pieter

Pieter Well-Known Member 10 Years

The colour of the emerging shoots varies with the cultivar, some being decidedly purple, others reddish, some green and you will find that a great many variegated ones you will see those first emerging outer leaves that end up being the outermost ones will show distinct variegation. The attached pictures will show you some of the range of colours they can be.

Attached Files:

7. Creeping Jenny

Thanks everyone! Ill post pics of mine. Some are purple and the larger ones are all white.

p.s Pieter... great signature!