Mulch for Veggie Garden

Discussion in 'Soils, Fertilizers and Composting' started by sue1, May 4, 2006.

1. sue1

sue1 Active Member 10 Years

Does anyone out there in gardening land know what would be the best mulch to use on a veggie garden? My yard is very woodsy, and I am surrounded by heavily treed properties (bugs galore abound), so I must be careful that whatever I use I don't attract the local bugs or wildlife (i.e., racoons in particular).

Thanks, Sue

2. silver_creek

silver_creek Active Member

I use compost these days. Years ago when we used a grass catcher on the lawnmower, we would put thin layers of grass clippings as mulch on the veggie garden- the veggies loved the extra nitrogen and moisture retention. You have to keep the layers thin so they don't mat and rot. We went to mulch mowing, however, and no longer have a supply of grass clippings, so now it's compost for mulch. Not as much nitrogen, but it seems to help the moisture retention, and continually adds more organic matter to the beds.

3. sue1

Thanks Silver Creek. However, I can't make enough compost...I suppose using mushroom manure or sea soil or the like would be ok?

Sue

4. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

5. sue1

Ron, my soil is made up of good old dirt, mushroom manure, some homemade compost (very little) and peat, plus a little lime each spring. If mushroom manure is alkaline, maybe I should not use it as a mulch? I'm anxious to find a good mulch as my veggie garden is situated in very hot sunshine and until the veggies get bigger, I have to water deeply once each day. I capture my water supply (I use cisterns), so I conserve even more so than city folks.

thanks, Sue