moving my mini roses

Discussion in 'Rosa (roses)' started by Botanical Bon, Apr 26, 2007.

1. Botanical Bon

Botanical Bon Member

I am going to move some mini rose bushes which are currently outside in a sunny location and doing wonderful. I do have to move them though and I am certain the new location is the same amount of sun. I was wondering though if it is a wise idea to attempt to move them while they are getting new growth. Any tips out there would be appreciated as I know these plants can be quite delicate and finicky. - thanks!

Bonnie

2. Weekend Gardener

Weekend Gardener Active Member 10 Years

I think they are a lot tougher than you think. You can move them now, before they become fully leaved out.

Make sure you did out the large enough root ball, with the soil in the root ball as undisturbed as possible. This means digging around it, and then undermining the root ball by extending the diggin under it. Make sure that the new location has well ammended soil. I usually take the opportunity to mix in some organic goodies, e.g. bone meal and alfalfa meal, to the excavated soil. Water the transplants well as you back fill the hole. Once you have finished back filling, mulch well to conserve moisture. Make sure that the soil stays moist but not saturated for 1-2 months. (These does not seem to be a problem, given the sorry, soggy, wet weather taht we have been getting.)