moving across country

Discussion in 'Outdoor Tropicals' started by Canadianplant, Feb 28, 2007.

1. Canadianplant

Canadianplant Active Member

i will be moving from NW ontario to alberta with a night stop - over in brandon maitoba. I believe that i will be taking a few plants with me ( an 6-8 monht old pheonix canariensis, 8 month old ficus religiosa and a pot of 2 2 month old seedlings of dypsis albofarinosa ( white powder palm ). I will be taking a car in the end of april and was wondering what is the best way to tansport them so they wont die from the cold or whatnot? Or what are the best ideas ?

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

If you can't stow them in a frost-free compartment and you hit cold weather then you will probably have to take them into the motel or other heated place with you each night.

3. islandweaver

islandweaver Active Member

Canadianplant

As a previous prairie dweller I know that Manitoba, Sask, and Alberta can actually be quite balmy (by prairie standards) by late April so you may find you have no problem with your precious cargo, at least during the day as you cross the prairie. At night there may still be the possibility of occasional frosts so I would be tempted to bring them in unless there is sufficient mass of pots/soil to maintain a reasonable temperature by simply covering them all with a thick quilt.

The Canadian weather office probably has records available on the 'net giving the average or typical day and night temperatures at that time. Although as we all know, things, particularly weather, are never typical. Good luck.

4. Canadianplant

i was thinking using a cooler or a food bag that keep the heat inside of it. i thought of bringing them inside of the hotel, but i was thinkinng that it would be too much of a hastle. The quilt is a good idea. im assuming that the frost would kill any of the ones i mentioned so as long as the frost doesnt tough them there ok right?

5. islandweaver

What a wonderful idea! A cooler should insulate them from having to deal with a wide range of temperatures which can happen if the sun is an issue when you are driving. When you stop in Brandon (if it is freezing there) you could add a hot pack, the kind you use to ease muscle strains, etc., or even just a container of hot water into the cooler. I think I'd still throw a comforter or such over the cooler to add an additional insulator to your cooler.

You realize I'm sure that compared to Ontario, Alberta has extremely dry air, particularly in their houses, which you may have to consider in keeping your plants healthy. You might need to look at getting a humidifer once you get settled depending on the conditions in which the species thrives.

6. Canadianplant

dont worry im very well aware of the air and weather conditions there. I like the idea of a hot pack. Or i can buy some of them self heating back patches to wrap around the pots to keep the soil warm. Having them in total darknessf er 30 or more hours isnt going to hurt them is it?

7. islandweaver

I'm sure that a few days darkness isn't going to hurt them while you transport them. I think temperature fluctations are really going to be the only problem you'll need to worry about. My mother used to move houseplants across the prairies every winter and back in the spring during the 1950s. She would have loved to have had something as simple as a styrofoam cooler back then.

8. Canadianplant

that is a good idea with the hot pack. thanks man. wont the total darkness for 30 or more hours do damage to the plants?

9. smivies

smivies Active Member

30 hours of darkness won't affect them....mail order companies have shipment times longer than that all the time. If it were 10 days of darkness, some decline & recovery might be expected.

End of April moving should be a no-brainer with risk of frost or freeze probably only at night. Bring them into the hotel room at night. I did a move in -20ºC with orchids one year. The method that worked for me was a high sided cardboard box with the seams taped. Over the top, I taped a large garbage bag to accomodate the taller plants. No damage to any of them.

Simon