moss in the lawn

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by anon125, Apr 10, 2015.

1. anon125

anon125 Active Member 10 Years

we live near parksville, bc.
    every year the moss is back.
    how do some folks here have rich thick lawns?
    thanks all

2. Georgia Strait

Georgia Strait Generous Contributor

South Okanagan & Greater Vancouver, BC Canada
    rich thick lawns?
    ... as they used to say in the pre and post-war 2 era - -- Better Living Through Chemistry (dupont slogan)
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Better_Living_Through_Chemistry

========

we like our moss.

we have a professional service and I asked them specifically - do not put weed/moss/feed chemicals on our lawn or elsewhere (for several reasons, including ethics, pets, kids, wildlife, barefeet, run-off etc)

and it is a professionally installed lawn - about 6 yrs old now.
    it has the golf-course type construction (because it is a septic field also about 6 yrs old obviously) - so gravel-sand, good drainage, top coat of soil and seed etc.

but I have not yet been able to change the path of the sun and the angle it meets our lawn throughout the seasons. (ie not much in winter)! (or the damp climate we have for many months of the year)

i'm kidding about changing the sun path but it is certainly a factor. As are the shade trees in our neighborhood.

bottom line - I think it depends on your budget, your beliefs (environmental - chemical, wildlife, pets, kids, etc), what professional licensed service is avail to serve your landscape ... (certain licenses required to sell and/or apply chemicals)

and moss is natural here - it is a rain forest. There are some beautiful ways to incorporate moss in to your design scheme. My Albertan spouse grew up with perfect lawns - apparently - but it isn't an option in many of the shaded neighborhoods here. So now spouse enjoys the sweeping ocean view and beach - while overlooking the moss!

3. anon125

a moss back yard would look a bit ugly at certain times of the year!

4. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Most moss looks the same all the time. Grass, on the other hand readily goes brown if not watered heavily and consistently.

5. Sundrop

Sundrop Well-Known Member

There are different kinds of moss, some may look nice, others may not. Moss tends to grow best on poor, shallow, acidic soils, where other plants may find it difficult to get established. It can grow without soil, too.
    Improving the condition of your soil could help other plants, grass in particular, to out-compete the moss.

6. Charles Philip

Charles Philip Active Member

It's funny, gardeners in the prairies, where I am, work for years to have moss growing in the garden.

7. vitog

vitog Contributor 10 Years

The easiest way to control moss in a lawn is to make the grass grow vigorously by feeding it. Any high nitrogen fertilizer, chemical or organic, will do the trick. Moss can't compete with grass if the soil is fertile enough. Of course this means that you also have to keep the grass watered, and it will have to be cut more often. And the grass should be cut high to be effective at shading out the moss.

8. anon125

the person who mowed our grass always mowed it short, even when it did not need cutting. now replaced
    thanks all