Moonglow Junipers spring damage

Discussion in 'Gymnosperms (incl. Conifers)' started by NorthernYard, May 3, 2022.

1. NorthernYard

NorthernYard Member

Hey all,

my moonglow junipers for the second spring in a row are starting to grey. The entire center of one and the other just starting today with too discoloring. Last year I lost half the foliage on the plant in pic 1. It started just like this and got a lot worse.

the plants are vibrant green all winter and through the thaw and the moment temps increase all start the same trend.

question: what is this damage from and is it avoidable? There are no mites. There is late frost. There is plenty of natural precip and irrigation should I need it.

Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Isn't the "grey" the way the cultivar is supposed to be? This cultivar is described as featuring silvery-blue foliage.

3. NorthernYard

NorthernYard Member

Here is what it looks like now

Attached Files:

4. NorthernYard

NorthernYard Member

The culprit. Any ideas? Solution?

Attached Files:

5. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

It could be just a coincidence that that insect is what is causing damage on your junipers. I don't think insect damage would be concentrated on mainly one side of the shrub. Having said that, I really can't think what would be causing the problems.

6. NorthernYard

NorthernYard Member

thanks! I really wondered that myself. There are a number of webs on the branches and it seemed to stop last year after keeping the plant leaves continually wet. That said I'm at a bit of loss. Part of me wonders if it is just a poor growing spot the other moonglows aren't dealing with?

thanks for the response

7. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

8. NorthernYard

NorthernYard Member

Thanks! I never really did determine if they were mites last time but the suggestion that maybe that was it made me try. I looked but never really was too sure and people on here suggested it was not. Despite that the remedy worked so I'll try it again. Sprinklers up high and remove dead growth. Cheers