Appreciation: Moonflower

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by pmurphy, Oct 2, 2022.

1. pmurphy

pmurphy Contributor 10 Years

Bloomed for the first time last night in my garden - Ipomoea alba

"Native to tropical America. It is a tender perennial vine that can be grown as a warm weather annual. It is noted for its fragrant nocturnal white blooms (moonflowers) and its deep green foliage. Although it will grow to 70’ or more in tropical climates, it typically reaches 10-15’ in a single season as an annual. Milky-juiced, somewhat prickly, twining stems are clad with large, rounded, broad-ovate, deep green leaves (4-8” long) with cordate bases. Fragrant, white flowers (to 6” diameter) bloom at dusk from mid-summer into fall. Flowers unfold in early evening before nightfall from attractive spiraled tubular flower buds. Flowers remain open all night and eventually close before noon the following day. Flowers attract night-flying moths."

I took several photos about 9:00PM last night with different lighting to see what it would look like...

IMG_9325.JPG
    subdued overhead lighting

IMG_9319.JPG
    with camera flash

IMG_9321.JPG
    no flash but lit from the side by a flashlight

IMG_9332.JPG
    taken 7:30AM this morning under natural light

I'm hoping to either overwinter the vine or gather seeds for next year.

Daniel Mosquin and Margot like this.
  2. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

Nice. I seem to have only photographed one in Honolulu, looked just like that.
    Did you acquire this one locally? Not that I want one; I just don't remember seeing it here.

3. pmurphy

pmurphy Contributor 10 Years

I ordered the seeds online (Georgia Vines I believe) and started them back in February.