Moon Flowers........

Discussion in 'Vines and Climbers' started by JRSSR50, Jun 10, 2008.

1. JRSSR50

JRSSR50 Member

I recently planted moon flowers and was wondering if it was normal for the blooms to fall off each night..the morning glories flowers stay ,.also wondering why the moonflowers attract so many ants..

2. lorax

lorax Rising Contributor 10 Years

In my experience, the moonflowers (Ipomoea alba) always drop off at the end of the night; I think it's just how they are. Some of my day-blooming Ipomoeas do the same thing.

Probably it's the sweet nectar and sweet fragrance drawing ants.

3. joclyn

joclyn Rising Contributor

i have seeds for the moonflower that i haven't planted yet...really need to get that done!!

anyhoo, as far as i know, the flower is only supposed to last one night.

4. JRSSR50

JRSSR50 Member

Thanks for your response......I was wondering...........I thought maybe it had something do do with being here in the phillipines...I have learned they do not like a lot of water...I have them planted near a wall and they are climbing on the metal bars starting to look good..........any sugestions for other flowers that like a lot of sun and heat....I am trying to make a mix of tropical plant and plants from US...

5. lorax

lorax Rising Contributor 10 Years

A lot of sun and heat? Crotons don't really flower, but they have super showy foliage.

You can also check out my blog; I have been cataloguing (somewhat at random) the things that grow in Ecuador. This is the tropics as well, and there are lots of things on it that will tolerate your conditions.