1. Jasontheemperor

Jasontheemperor Member

Hi,

I just purchased some Mondo grass and Dwarf mondo grass for an area in my back yard. I am useing it as ground cover. I am aiming for a japanese garden feel. I have some black bamboo in a contained portion as well. My question is what is the best way to take care of the Mondo grass. From what I have read I should just treat it like my lawns (I have Fescue and St. Augustine.) Water it a couple of times a week and feed it two or more times a year.

If this is wrong please tell me. What should I expect from it? Is it as slow growing as I've heard. I have a section in the shade as well as some in full sun. Will it handle both well? Are there any special considerations I need to deal with?

Thank you,
    Jason

2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

It should be able to handle both, though it will prefer the shaded area - full Californian sun might be too much for it to handle, actually (any way to give it some partial shade during high noon?). Yes, it is a relatively slow grower (unless in a place that it really likes). I find a mass of it pretty satisfying to look at. Do keep it well-watered - it doesn't like to dry out too much from my experience.

3. Jasontheemperor

Jasontheemperor Member

Thank you for the reply. As my garden fills out there will be more shade available. A good portion already has early afternoon shade. I suspect I will see a dividing line of those that get too much sun and those that dont. I just instaled a sprinkler system in the area so it shouldn't dry out.

Thanks Again!
    Jason

4. Dave-Florida

Dave-Florida Active Member

Dwarf mondo grass takes Florida sun and heat pretty well.

5. Jasontheemperor

Jasontheemperor Member

In the two weeks since I planted them, the dwarf variety seems to be doing better. However they were older individuals than the non-dwarf variety. I have yet to have any of either type fail. I can't wait till they all fill in.

Jason

6. Dave-Florida

Dave-Florida Active Member

Sounds great. For some reason, I have trouble with big lily turf (Liriope) suffering leaf browning under a big laurel oak. Possibly problems with mole tunnels? In a sunnier site, it's thriving. So much that I can probably move it to serve as a border for the new patio, or something like that.

Ophiopogon does OK under another laurel oak, but it's having problems with the rain of leaves, plus mole tunnels. It seems to do well in extra-wide cracks between pavers.