Miracle Grow for Indoor Fruit Trees - Go or Bad Idea?

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by Ondjah, Jun 14, 2010.

1. Ondjah

Ondjah Member

Hi,

I have a couple fruit trees, but what are your thoughts of using Miracle Grow for these trees? Will it do more bad than good?

2. Fen Sandar

Fen Sandar Active Member

It probably won't kill them - especially if it is meant for orchids or fruit trees. Most of the stuff for leafy houseplants would probably be okay also. But make sure your fruit trees are well established before you give them anything other than well draining soil and maybe a little lime juice in their water every once in a while.

If you are going to try it and your plants are big enough for at least 8-12 inch pots (I'm not sure what this would do to smaller plants), I would suggest halving the amount they recommend, hitting a local dollar tree store (or equivalent), picking up some Epsom salt and white distilled vinegar while you are there, and alternating a tiny amount of one of those or your feed using their feed schedule (feed salt, vinegar and miracle grow alternatively not all at the same time and not more times per month/week than they tell you to feed with miracle grow on the container). Make sure you dissolve the salt or vinegar completely in the water if you are going to use it and that is not part of the directions on your miracle grow and do NOT use table salt.

Also save your eggshells, tea leaves and coffee grounds for your plants, they will love them so long as you don't go through more coffee and tea in a month than you have potting soil in those pots!

Last edited: Jun 14, 2010