Miniature Rose Question

Discussion in 'Rosa (roses)' started by RoseLady, Apr 7, 2006.

1. RoseLady

RoseLady Active Member

I live in Tucson, Arizona and roses do very well here all year long. I have recently planted some tiny miniatures in my rose garden and someting is happening with 2 of the 7 mini's I have. There are some additional shoots ...very large and almost tea rose looking, that have grown out of the base of the rose. They look healthy and are covered with blooms, but look nothing like the mini itself. Should I cut these off? It's almost as if 2 different roses are growing on the same stock. This is only my second year growing roses so I have not seen this before. They are odd shaped (stick out of the base and are higher than the mini itself) and don't look like they belong there. Help!
    Ayone seen this before and if so what is it?

2. Weekend Gardener

Weekend Gardener Active Member 10 Years

That is rather strange. Normally, one would think of such events as suckers growing from the root stock. But, unlike the larger flowered roses, almost all miniatures are propagated commercially from cuttings. The only exception would be those that are grafted on to grow as standards (tree roses). So, one should not see an entirely different looking rose growing from a miniature. Are you able to see if it is grafted to a root stock?

Another possibility is that what's growing are actually "sports" of the original plant. But this is a rather uncommon occurrence, and to have this happen in 2 out of 7 roses all in the same year would be highly unlikely.

A third possibility is that roses which are propagated from cuttings look different (in growth habit, leaves and flowers) when young compared to the mature plant. Once they are mature enough to send the larger canes up, the "real" rose then shows up. Don't forget that miniatures are only miniatures by definition of their bloom size, not the size of the plants. In fact, some miniature roses can grow to be quite sizeable shrubs. They only look tiny initially because they were propagated from cuttings.

If they are growing in my garden, I would keep them, not cut off the new canes, and see what happens. Especially if the flowers are about the same colour as the other roses on the same plant.

3. RoseLady

RoseLady Active Member

I will check in the morning to see where the additional shoot is coming from. It's so wierd because the shoot has larger leaves and is much thicker than the other stalks on the plant. And it shoots out from the bottom.The roses however are the exact same as the mini's. One of the mini's actually has several of these larger stalks on it. It's very odd looking.

4. Weekend Gardener

If the flowers are exactly the same, then, there is nothing wrong with your roses. In fact, I would be doing the "happy happy rose dance" right now. For what you saw are the most coveted prizes for any hard working rose grower, as you know - basal breaks! These new shoots is the true representation of the rose's growth, size, foliage, etc. As I have said, first season rooted roses (even 2 year olds) can look quite different from the mature bush that has put out a few strong canes.

5. RoseLady

RoseLady Active Member

I appreciate that input. I am beginning to see larger stronger shoots now on all 7 of the minis. Almost overnight. Some of the shoots come up in the center and some come from the sides, but there are evidences of larger stronger canes on every single mini. That one just threw me because it's SO much larger than the base plant and cane, leaves and all are bigger. It just looks very very odd. It now has a similar sized cane shooting up from the center.The flowers are the same color and type, but also bigger. Is that normal? Are minis supposed to stay small? Maybe they grow tall like the large roses but maintain their smaller flower? This is all new to me!
    Two are 2 years old and 5 were newly planted last spring. How tall can I expect them to grow? Right now they range in height from 1 ft to 2.5ft. The taller ones being the older ones. They all look extremely healthy and are all starting to bloom. Even my large roses are blooming. My bewitched has a flower on it about 6 inches across!They all seem to be happy here in this soil. When I first moved out here 30 years ago, I planted 2 roses and proceeded to do nothing with them...not even water them. Last year I had to pull them up out of the ground and destroy them. They had run a muck and gone WILD! They were about 5 ft tall, obstructing my entryway, and bloomed almost all year long. They were even out in front where the Javalina could eat them and not even THEY could kill them!
    I went on a Master Gardeners Tour today here in Tucson, and everyone's roses look great. I will send pics when I get my digital camera figured out. Thanks again!

6. RoseLady

RoseLady Active Member

Glossary
    Basal breaks

I just looked up the definition to "basal breaks". didn't know what that was. Do you agree wth this definition and should I pinch it back? There are about 6-7 blooms at the end of these canes. Do I cut that off? The canes are about 12 to 14 inches long.

[From Peter Schneider on Roses, by Peter Schneider, p. 17:] As these new shoots develop on hybrid teas, it is a good idea to pinch them off at the top when they are about 12 inches high. This will encourage several lateral stems to spring from the basal shoot, each of which will provide you with an excellent bloom...

This pruning will encourage future "basal" breaks which are the life blood of any rose bush. Basal breaks refer to new shoots, soon to be producing canes, ...
    www.gardenadventures.com/rose pruning.htm - 20k - Cached - Similar pages

Basal Breaks: The pruned plant after 3 weeks in the ground. Note that 4 basal breaks have emerged directly from the bud union and are generally more vigorous than the growth from the budeyes on the 3 canes. If 2 or more canes grow into each other, prune the weaker cane(s) from the bud union so as to concentrate the energy into the strong cane. Directing the growth of a rosebush from its earliest weeks in the garden will lead to years of vigorous growth.

7. Weekend Gardener

You are giving us a lot of indications that you are, in fact, an expert at taking good care of your plants. Whether we call it "basal" breaks or whatever, the fact is that your plants are healthy, have well established root systems, and are now ready to show their true mettle.

To pinch or not to pinch?

You will get many opinions on this question. For roses which are not "climbers", tall canes are not esthetically pleasing since you will end up with flowers on the end of a long tall stick - the candlebara effect. Pinching new canes at the desired height encourages new laterals to form, and should result in a bushier plant with flowers borne at a more even height. I do it either way. Sometimes, I just like to have a large spray at the end of a strong cane for cutting. I know that the canes will still produce laterals after I have removed the flowers for enjoyment indoors. At other times, I prefer to shape the bush early on, forgoing earlier production of blooms on that cane.

The edit to prune the weaker and older non-productive canes clean to their points of origins is always a good one to adhere to.

8. RoseLady

RoseLady Active Member

Thanks for the compliment and all your help. The minis are blooming like crazy....many,many buds and all of the 7 minis have full blooms also. That original odd looking cane I was so distressed over now has about 10 blooms on the end...the candelabra you spoke of. As soon as they are done, I do plan to cut that cane back even with the other canes on the plant just for esthetic reasons. Thanks for the encouragement as I wasn't sure what I was doing was at all correct. You have built my confidence. My plants are my passion. I am new to all of it, but am discovering the internet for things I don't know and asking questions as I go. If you know anything about Queen Palms I have some questions with regards to my 2 palms. They seem to be doing well, but I'm not quite sure at what point to cut off the fronds. If they are obviously ready to drop off, I cut them, but I have a couple fronds that are yellow but seem too close to the center to cut just yet. They may have been damaged somewhat by the temperature drop we had in January to below feezing.There are new green fronds growing up through the center so I know the palm is healthy. I just hate to cut the yellow ones off too soon. Do you know aything about palms? Also can you over water a palm? remember...I am in Tucson Arizona and it is already going into the hi 80's low 90's this week! By the way Weekend gardener.....where are you from?

9. Weekend Gardener

No, I don't know too much about palms in a temperate climate. The only palms I grow are two windmill palms in containers. It seems to me reasonable to leave the "yellowed" leaves alone for now and see what happens over the next one or two. If those leaves are irreversiblly damaged, they will likely turn brown and dry up. If not, they might green up as the weather gets warmer.

However, I am no expert on this. You should consider posting the question on the palms forums.