Mimosa Tree

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by Leeta, Jun 30, 2005.

1. Leeta

Leeta Member

I want a Mimosa tree in my yard. When in bloom, they are breathtaking.They are very rare in Indiana, but commonplace in New Mexico. I cannot find a start or even seeds for this tree. Got any ideas about availability? Leeta

2. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Mimosa is only a herb, not a tree at all. What you've seen is probably a related plant, Albizia julibrissin, also known as Silk-tree but commonly mis-named 'mimosa'; it is native to southern and eastern Asia. In the southern US it is an invasive weed tree, so many places refuse to stock it on principle, while further north (Indiana included) it is only marginally hardy at best, so nurseries won't stock it because too many get returned for a refund after being killed by the winter.

If you want to try it, go somewhere a bit south where they are common, and collect some seeds from anywhere you can get permission to collect; I'd suspect most people would be happy to give away some seeds. But if you're in Indiana, be aware it probably won't live long.

3. Mdebeliu

Mdebeliu Member

Leeta:

I got some seeds from a tree down the street. Only one seedling lasted thru the winter, in a small pot placed in the yard. I'm planting it this year. Wish me luck! They are beautiful.

Just for the record, I saw several really tall 'mimosa' trees in Missouri and Kansas.

Marilyn

4. LPN

LPN Well-Known Member 10 Years

Do you know the botanical name for your "mimosa"? That common name gets used quite a bit for different things.

5. Mdebeliu

Mdebeliu Member

I presume they are Albizia julibrissin, from all photos I've seen.

6. LPN

Around these parts, these trees are commonly called "Silk Tree". To avoid confusion, I always perfer the botanical names.
    Here's a pic of my Albizia julibrissin with many thousands of buds and a few blooms.
    Cheers, LPN.

Attached Files:

7. GramaNanMyrt

GramaNanMyrt Active Member

I just got a root for what is called a Mimosa Tree and it doesn't look like the one posted in here.

Attached Files:

8. LPN

Again ... that's why botanical names are the prefered reference.

9. GramaNanMyrt

GramaNanMyrt Active Member

Thanks but now i wonder what I have then?