Meyer lemon tree being eaten

Discussion in 'Citrus' started by DEBBE NELSON, Aug 25, 2021.

1. DEBBE NELSON

DEBBE NELSON New Member

This is the 3rd year of having 2 Meyer lemon trees. I winter them inside and bring them out every spring into the full sun garden.
    This summer something is eating one of the trees leaves, and there are no blossoms. The other tree, right beside it, has no damage, has bloomed and has fruit.
    I check it in the daytime & nighttime and never see any bugs or bees on it.
    Any help?

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 25, 2021
  2. Will B

Will B Active Member

Could be any number of things. Earwigs, grasshoppers, caterpillars, etc. Cannot tell which one for certain, but I would suspect earwig since most others tend to only do damage along edges but earwigs sometimes eat inside the leaf. The bottom-right leaf damage shows it inside the leaf and not the edge.

3. DEBBE NELSON

DEBBE NELSON New Member

Thanks for the reply!
    I was thinking earwigs too, but when I go on my nightly earwig hunt with my headlamp, I haven't seen any! Sneaky buggers, they likely come later in the night

4. Erocks

Erocks New Member

Round-winged Katydid.JPG ........thats what it looks like when you have 1 or more katydids around.

5. DEBBE NELSON

DEBBE NELSON New Member

That's interesting! I haven't had a problem with then before, but I'll keep a watch this year. Thanks for your picture and reply!

6. Erocks

Erocks New Member

You will be lucky when they decide to move on to another type of foilage and leave yours alone .They will eat until they get enough then move on because they move fast and travel farther than most looking for tasty greens.