Meyer Lemon root issues?

Discussion in 'Citrus' started by betsyyyyy, Oct 8, 2022.

Tags:
  1. betsyyyyy

betsyyyyy New Member

I’m 6 months in with a small Dwarf Improved Meyer Lemon living outside is San Francisco. My yard gets lots of fog but also lots of warm sun; the tree is planted in the sunniest spot. The trouble is that I have a lot of yellow, dropping leaves. I’m fertilizing, watering about 2x a week. I believe I may have a drainage issue or root issue - or is this something else? I don’t see any bugs, mold, eggs etc and it is prolific with fruit… but the fruit stays small and green. Maybe I need to thin the fruit and pull it out of the pot to check drainage? I’d love other opinions before I go through that, thanks!

Attached Files:

2. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

Welcome to the Forums.

You could dig down deep at the far end of the container (where there will be less likelihood of causing root damage) to check the level of moisture in the medium. If it's wet, then there's a good chance the tree has suffered some root damage. Does the container have drainage holes?

With the considerable loss of leaves the tree will struggle to generate enough energy to survive let alone further develop the fruit. Therefore I would remove all the flowers and fruit so that all the energy can be put towards recovery.

3. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

Erocks likes this.
  4. Erocks

Erocks New Member

Soil PH could be high ... you could add some soil acidifier , some magnesium sulphate with sulphur for nice green foilage .