Megachile rotundata

Discussion in 'Maples' started by AlainK, Jun 12, 2020.

1. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

This bee seems to like Acer cappadocicum :

acer-cappadoc_200612a.jpg

I already noticed that last year, it's the only maple species I've spotted that on. I really don't mind, that means they're well and alive in my garden ;°)

FR : Megachile rotundata — Wikipédia
    ENG : Megachile rotundata - Wikipedia

Since I don't use pesticides, I also have "black" bees, the native ones, they gather around the pots that I've watered, or when the weather is very hot, in the bowls filled with water that I leave for the birds.

2. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Hi Alain, we have these leaf cutter bees every few years in our garden, they never attack my maples, but they do love my Laurel hedge.
    The trouble with Laurel, is that if a leaf is cut or damaged it turns yellow and drops within a week to ten days. Hence a sparce hedge and 'hello neighbours', lol

D

3. dicky5ash

dicky5ash Generous Contributor

Hi Alain, does this look like the same? This is the lower green leaves on a crimson king..they have left the tougher red leaves completely alone

Attached Files:

4. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

Yes, and I found other trees that were chewed by these bees. Here, they seem to prefer rather "leathery" leaves. Here's what I've just found on an Acer campbelli ssp. sinense :

acer-campbell_ssp-sinensis_200616a.jpg

But as I said before, I don't use chemicals, or in the last resort. I prefer to have bees, butterflies, ladybirds, and other insects in my garden if they only feed on the flowers or the leaves and not on the wood. Most of them don't carry diseases, and if they do most of the time it's too late. Anyway, there are birds and even hedgehogs in my small garden, they will take good care of most pests ;-)

I much prefer to keep biodiversity than using chemicals for a single crop, whether it's Japanese maples or other.

5. dicky5ash

dicky5ash Generous Contributor

I agree entirely I would not use chemicals.. more biodiversity the better and very happy to see lots of spiders but not so much those lace weaver spiders...

6. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

I accidentally dug up a leaf-cutter bee cocoon a few years ago and was amazed at how intricately it was constructed. There were several overlapping layers of perfectly cut circles topped off with a smaller, circular cap. I find these bees have their favourite plants - my Prosartes smithii was in tatters by the time cocoon construction ended but I thought it was a small price to pay for having their services as pollinators.

dicky5ash likes this.
  7. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

They have just started on my Laurel Hedge. Nothing on my maples, YET !! Photo attached.

D

Attached Files: