Identification: Maples

Discussion in 'Maples' started by dicky5ash, May 2, 2020.

1. dicky5ash

dicky5ash Generous Contributor

The first tree I found as a seedling in my front hedge at about 4” now 7 foot tall in a couple of years..I think it’s a common maple.. first two pics..

The other darker leaf tree (last 4 pics) is down a lane near my house that will shortly be bull dozed for a new housing development..sadly the golf club sold up to a developer and they are building 2500 houses.. on what currently is lovely tree covered landscape..I might repatriate the tree before the bulldozers come in if you think it’s worth keeping alive

Attached Files:

2. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Hi @dicky5ash, looks like the common maple. The second one is definitely worth repatriating, if you get permission of course. Expect emery will ID them both for you. Looking at them IMO they are going to be massive in not too many years. Something to consider.

Sorry to hear about the 2500 houses. This country is so overcrowded!!!

3. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

I would say :

1/ Acer platanoides (Norway maple)
    2/ Maybe Acer pseudoplatanus (Sycamore)

When the leaves are more mature, Sycamore will have darker, thicker leaves with less pointed lobes than Norway maple, but I'm almost 100% sure nr.1 is Acer platanoides.

dicky5ash likes this.
  4. dicky5ash

thank you Alain, much appreciated.. I’m going to plant the Norway maple in the ground and leave the other one where it is if it’s just a sycamore..

5. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

They are both A. platanoides. They make nice trees with very good spring flowers, their popularity is justified, really.

The only thing is that they are likely to grow into very large trees eventually.

I always appreciate rescuing any maple, that's probably what I'd do to! I potted up a couple of dozen Mountain Maples today, there were a few that really didn't merit a pot but I still couldn't bear to chuck them so ended up planting in a random hedge. Who knows? :) -E

dicky5ash likes this.
  6. dicky5ash

Many thanks..much appreciated..the first one appeared in my escallonia hedge at 10cm..I thought.. you don’t belong there pal..but I’ll pot you up..now it’s 2.2m! Noted re eventual size..incredibly fast growers

7. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

No worries. There are a few wonderful dwarf varieties, like 'Holata', that are gorgeous. Some others (Rezek) I don't find very attractive, but they're small anyway!

dicky5ash likes this.