Maples Winter bare bones

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Acerholic, Oct 25, 2020.

1. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Hi @Romain01 , what a pretty tree!

Our current 'Eddisbury' here (I think that's the right spelling, but I have gotten it wrong before) is starting to look nice, but unfortunately it has had lots of pseudomonas (black spot) problems. It froze this spring, so hoping it makes it through the winter. Our previous was much healthier, but on Spanish root stock, which froze in the very cold winter of 09/10. Yours looks like a really good one.

Not sure what you mean by "Sango kaku Eddisburry'? Those are different cultivars. "Eddisbury' has a somewhat more jagged leaf and new leaves are darker. Wood is often not red in summer, though a good red in winter. 'Sango kaku' is much brighter and the wood is more red in summer.

It is not that easy to get an authentic SK sadly, a lot of red barked seedlings have been sold under the name.

Cheers, -E

dicky5ash, maf and Romain01 like this.
  2. Worldly_Wrangler

Worldly_Wrangler Active Member

My Copper Rocket after snow.

Attached Files:

3. dicky5ash

dicky5ash Generous Contributor

Felt a bit ropey yesterday..could have moped all day on the sofa but instead decided to spend the day in the garden with my snips, removing die back, moving small pots to sheltered spots, repotting smaller trees..and I feel much better and re-energised for it!

Note to self - JM branches and eyeballs are incompatible - ouch lol

I have to say the number of larger trees that need repotting is slightly daunting!!!

Last edited: Jan 27, 2022
  4. Worldly_Wrangler

I had a similar experience with a tiny branch and an eyeball when I was cleaning up dead leaves. I couldn't see clearly for about 3 days afterwards. Hope you are OK.

dicky5ash likes this.
  5. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

I think we have all done that at some time or another. Hope all is OK though R..

D

dicky5ash likes this.
  6. Worldly_Wrangler

My Fireburst paperbark maple after snow.

Attached Files:

7. Worldly_Wrangler

Beni Kawa.

Attached Files:

8. Acerholic

Beautiful mid winter photos. Looks like your maples will get some good sleep this year.

D

9. Worldly_Wrangler

It’s still snowing. Another thread inspired me to take a couple of photos of my Acer pictum ‘Naguri Nishiki’ in the snow.

Attached Files:

10. kbguess

kbguess Rising Contributor 10 Years

@Worldly_Wrangler
    I would be putting some chicken wire or similar around the base if that were mine.
    The rabbits always seem to eat my favorites during the winter it I don't

LoverOfMaples and Acerholic like this.
  11. Acerholic

Good advice Keith.

D

12. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

Rabbit stew - with "kluski" (a kind of potato based pasta, like gnocchi) - was a favourite Sunday lunch when I was a kid.... ;°)

maf likes this.
  13. Worldly_Wrangler

Strangely enough, I don’t have rabbits or deer frequenting my garden. So far the most damage to my trees has been caused by my toddlers ripping branches and leaves off.

14. AlainK

No recipe for toddlers, stewed, roasted or baked, sorry.

Xi-feng, emery, Romain01 and 2 others like this.
  15. emery

Actually a little wire fencing works pretty well to keep toddlers off, too. They still run into it, but glance off. I remember those days, very fondly though I lost a few maples!

Xi-feng likes this.
  16. Worldly_Wrangler

The Beni Kawa I posted on 12/19 has a lot of branches turning black. I may need to move it to a more sheltered spot in the garden.

What are some more cold hardy coral bark or bark interest maples? Ji Jao’ looks interesting but I can’t find much about it.

17. Acerholic

I believe that Sango-kaku is the hardiest of all the coral bark maples and lends itself beautifully to a frosty or snow landscape.

D

maf, Worldly_Wrangler and emery like this.
  18. emery

Yes, I agree, 'Sango kaku' is probably the hardiest. Word has been that 'Eddisbury' tolerates some more freezing, but as the owner of one that is currently suffering (where the SK's breezed through last spring's freezes) I can't call it better.

maf and Worldly_Wrangler like this.
  19. maf

maf Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

There is a lot of whippy soft growth on that maple in the picture indicating excess fertilization with high nitrogen content feed. I would imagine it came from the dealer already juiced rather than anything you added. Unfortunately that type of growth is the least capable of surviving the winter; combine that with the thin bark of the coral bark types and you have a recipe for disaster in a colder than normal winter. Pseudomonas ice nucleation is generally the bacterial factor that causes the blackening of the stems but soft nitrogen growth is like rolling out the red carpet and inviting it in for an all you can eat buffet.

If your 'Beni kawa' survives this spring it will likely prove to be hardier and less prone to twig blackening in future years, as it starts to grow more naturally, without the excess nitrogen and becomes more adapted to your climate. (It might never have lived outside of a greenhouse before you bought it).

Even a mature and settled well grown 'Sango kaku' will lose some twigs to blackening every year but generally it is only limited to the softest current year growth. I agree (albeit based on small sample size) with @emery that 'Sango kaku' suffers less dieback than 'Eddisbury' but I think there is potential for some variation depending on quality of scion material, rootstock and grafting practices at the originating nursery.

emery likes this.
  20. Worldly_Wrangler

Good information maf, thank you very much. You are correct that this was planted last spring and I have not fertilized it, so I imagine it was fertilized at the nursery. It grew all of these stringy twigs in August after the record heat abated. Ill prune back in the spring and see how it does. Hopefully next year won't be so cold!

maf likes this.
  21. AlainK

"Frosties" : 'Bihoo', 'Sango kaku' and an unidentified seedling from randomly collected seeds. Much nicer "in real life"...

acerp-bihoo_220126a.jpg acerp_sangok02_220126a.jpg acerp-nonid04_220126a.jpg

Acerholic and maf like this.
  22. Acerholic

Keeping yours very much asleep I see Alain. Hope we don't see pictures like this in April, as we did last year though.

D

23. AlainK

Yes, it's cold right now, but like it should be at the end of January.

Out of curiosity I had a look at last year's weather and temperatures, they were a bit milder.
    But what is... spine-chilling is what happened in February:

02-2021.jpg

24. Acerholic

Agreed, February can be quite a game changer for our trees. Over here it looks like some very mild weather starting from tomorrow. So the bare bones might just get some swelling of the buds. But I hope not....
    Tbh I'm really looking forward to Spring, but it can wait a little longer.

D

25. AlainK

Same here: no more frosts after Thursday, temperatures between 2 and 6 at night and 6 to 9 in the afternoon in the next 10-14 days (or so they say).
    Perfect for seeds "naturally stratifying" outside : I got some Acer "mono" (pictum), and a handful of seeds from cultivars.

I also planted 5 species of "tulipes botaniques" (small ones, about 15 cm tall) in pots and containers as well as Iris reticulata and "starflowers" (Ipheion, that we call "garlic of the incas") to bring to my mother when they flower - aren't I a good son?... ;°D

They're already showing leaves, I'll post in the relevant forum when they flower.