Maple Seeds

Discussion in 'Maples' started by PlantExplorer, Nov 8, 2002.

1. PlantExplorer

PlantExplorer Active Member 10 Years

Does anyone have any tips on storing maple seeds? My group needs to collect and store the seeds for periods of up to a year. Liquid nitrogen is not an option. Is there a proven method for extending the otherwise short viability of these seeds?

2. HortLine

HortLine Active Member 10 Years

On p. 187 of the USDA Forest Service publication SEEDS OF WOODY PLANTS IN THE UNITED STATES there is a discussion regarding the best conditions for maple seed storage;however, the necessary conditions are species specific. You did not refer to any particular species, so this advice is only general: Storage conditions should keep the seed's metabolic activity to a minimum and avoid deterioration through fungal action caused by excess moisture or through too high temperature.

Generally the cooler the temperature, the longer the storage capability, as long as it is above freezing. You could store trees seeds as recommended by the RHS on p.62 of PLANT PROPAGATION by P. McMillan Browse in plastic bags in a domestic refrigerator in the coldest spot. However, this may not work for a period as long as a year.

3. M. D. Vaden

M. D. Vaden Active Member 10 Years

That's a great book:

SEEDS OF THE WOODY PLANTS OF THE UNITED STATES.

Specializing in pruning, I never applied much from that book. But it was the publication that enabled me to understand why some plants will reproduce in the mountains, but not in the landscapes of the lower elevations.