Maple Identification

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Keeb's, Jan 30, 2005.

1. Keeb's

Keeb's Active Member

G'Day everyone,

I have 4 maples that require identification if you could lend your experience and expertise please. The first 2 pics are of the same plant. 3RD pic is the second plant to id (red one). The 4th an 5th pic is the 3rd plant to ID. Finally the last pic is of the leaves from what appears to be a dwarf plant that I intend to strike from cuttings. Your help in ID-ing these plants is appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. webwolf

webwolf Active Member 10 Years

it is not easy

Hi Paul,
    I realized how hard it is to identify a grafted maple. The last one lookes a bit like the one I just asked to identify ( Coral Bark or Sangokaku ) pic.. The first two look like a green disectum and if you go through all the books a lot of names might apply.
    I would like to raise the question to all the real experts in this group to help us in the identification. Which webside is the best for that?
    regards
    Wolfgang

Attached Files:

3. mjh1676

mjh1676 Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

Webwolf:
    I see you have posted your tree again. Do you see any characteristics in your other photo of the upright palmatum that would exclude it from being Sango kaku? I don't know the tree, but I am now sure it is not Sango kaku.

What are the circumstances under which the trees have lost their labels? Are they Bargain at the end of the season because the nursery lost the labels and is not certain enough to relabel them?

Paul:
    You will need to grow your trees for a season or two or three-as ID's will not be very possible on such young trees, especially vigorously growing dissectums. Fall is not the best time for ID of dissectums except as a means of confirming through fall color. Spring and summer or a combination of pictures from the two would be more useful. Again, we would want to see older wood, not leaves on vigorous chutes.

The last picutre--is that of cuttings in a bag?

MJH

4. Keeb's

Keeb's Active Member

MJH,

It is nearing the end of summer here in Australia. The plants are very young but I was hoping from the leaf structure the cultivars might have been identifiable. I have not had the plants long enough to see what the autumn colour is yet. Pic 1 & 2 are the same plant, pic 3 was bought as a bonsai starter unnamed and it has always been red, pic 4 & 5 are the same plant and is suppose to be A.C Atropurpureum but it is not the standard shape leaf. Yes, the pic 6 is of cuttings taken from an unknown tree that I am attempting to strike (Dwarf I think, as the parent tree is about 7 or 8ft with small leaves 1- 1 1/2 inch and is possibly 10 years old or so).