Many Aroids in cultivation in Australia .

Discussion in 'Araceae' started by trikus, Oct 31, 2007.

1. trikus

trikus Active Member

Believe it or not ! There are probably more species of Anthurium & Philodendron and other aroids being grown down under than you realize .
    I am compiling lists for aroiders down under to save them the expense of importing plants when they are already here . May be a few years of growing beforew some offsets or seedlings are available , but hey gardeners are known for there patience.

In previous jobs I was curating over 100 spp. of Anthuriums maybe more Philos , and recently submitted a list of nearly 100 Amorphophallus to AQIS for inclusion in the ICON database [ Import conditions ]

2. bihai

bihai Well-Known Member 10 Years

I have a friend who came to the US from Queensland. She describes it as a true tropical paradise. It is one of my top places to want to visit someday.
    I have seen your photos on another forum, it looks like paradise to me.

3. edleigh7

edleigh7 Well-Known Member

Yes you're right mate, probably not just here but everywhere. How many people in the world would have a Peace lily??

Ed

4. raymikematt

raymikematt Active Member

As a matter of fact I think Australia used to have its own chapter of the IAS and have almost as many members as the US, am I correct about that trikus?. I know there are some great growers and breeders down there, some of who post here!

5. bihai

bihai Well-Known Member 10 Years

Raymikematt,
    I am going to take some photos today of some of the plants that you traded to me awhile back. They have done so well for me, I just want to show you and say thanks.

6. raymikematt

raymikematt Active Member

Sounds good Bihai! I still have all the Heliconias and Gingers youve sent me. In fact Im DREADING digging them and and taking them in the Greenhouse tomorrow but will have to before we get a freeze. Cant wait for the pics.