Magnolia Tree

Discussion in 'Magnoliaceae' started by Jani, Apr 6, 2009.

1. Jani

Jani Member

Last year we bought a 6 foot magnolia from a nursery. At the time...we commented on the leaves looking brown not green. No problem we were told as soon there would be large white flowers! Ok. Well, we had some flowers (leaves somewhat green)and this year we see a whitish powder (mold?) and the leaves are downward and brown!! Help!! PS. Nursery is put of business

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Sounds like you bought a poor quality southern magnolia that has gone on the develop a mildew problem - and worse. Brown and down = dead or nearly so.

3. Jani

Jani Member

Thank you for replying so quickly.....though my husband and I are upset with the verdict. I do see new buds that have formed so is there some help available? Since I am in a country setting... starving deer have feasted on my beauty over the winter. What does one do for a slight case of mildew?? Thanks so much, Jan

4. mcm007

mcm007 Member

i had a similar problem.. go to home depot and get a fungucide
    (as in getting too much water..) i sprayed it on the affected areaand poured some at the base of the tree and watered it. mine are blooming now and the new groeth is amazing...DONT FORGET TO MULCH AROUND YOUR TREE !